You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-15 20:49:19

Xeanto

Booting a server headless and installing with SSH

Is there a way to boot archlinux on a nvidia gfx without having to hook up a keyboard to type in `nomodeset` on startup? i have a GPU in there, and the system is capable of booting, i just dont have a connector for the cable, otherwise i would just turn it on, with keyboard, hit tab, then type nomodeset.

#2 2017-02-15 21:08:11

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Booting a server headless and installing with SSH

Just boot without the nvidia drivers (nouveau will be used by default).  Maybe I am missing something.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2017-02-15 21:41:21

Xeanto

graysky wrote:

Just boot without the nvidia drivers (nouveau will be used by default).  Maybe I am missing something.

You are; whenever you boot into an archlinux iso at first, on an nvidia card, it blackscreens and becomes unresponsive. I need to know what to blacklist so that i can boot it into a workable environment, and were it is responsive.

#4 2017-02-15 21:47:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You can pass the relevant kernel option from the boot menu. See the KMS wiki page.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2017-02-15 22:11:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Without a keyboard it's hard to pass the kernel option.

I think the only way to do this would be to modify the iso.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2017-02-15 22:41:51

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Xeanto wrote:
graysky wrote:

You are; whenever you boot into an archlinux iso at first, on an nvidia card, it blackscreens and becomes unresponsive. I need to know what to blacklist so that i can boot it into a workable environment, and were it is responsive.

I have a box that uses the 340xx driver and I don't remember needing to do this at all ...but it has been a few years since I booted to a live environment on it.  If what you're saying is true and universally so, how is this not considered a bug?  Seems like booting to a universally functional state should be the default.  Again, perhaps I am missing something.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer