You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-20 11:22:05

ficabj5

Serious problems with the operating system

Hi all,

First of all, I am sorry to be such a noob, but I'm a complete newbie to Arch.

I have a problem that I cannot define, but believe to be associated with the /boot partition.

First of all, the boot time takes a really long time. It starts with "Booting Arch Linux", followed by "Loading Linux linux ...". These two take no time, literally. However, after that "Loading initial ramdisk ..." appears, and this is what takes so long. After it finishes loading the initial ramdisk, briefly it shows the following errors:

[  0.000000] efi: requested map not found.
[  0.000000] esrt: ESRT header is not in the memory map.
starting version 232

When I say a really long time, I mean about 30 seconds, which I believe is way too much considering the whole OS is running on an SSD.

I also believe this is causing some other issues regarding other things. For instance, wpa_supplicant won't configure wpa_cli because of "wlp2s0: Failed to initialize driver interface", however the driver and everything else seems to be in place.
So far I have done everything related to the boot partition in the beginner's guide, a couple of times. I also checked whether the running kernel and the installed one are the same with  uname -a and pacman -Qi linux, and they are.
I have no idea what exactly is causing these problems and therefore have no idea on how to fix them.

I will provide output of any commands needed to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you in advance,
A complete newbie.

#2 2017-02-20 11:57:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Serious problems with the operating system

Those two messages are relatively common.  Googling for them will provide many results, though their exact cause is not clear (at least to me).  Frequently firmware issues are alluded to.  But also in every case I can find those messages do not actually delay boot up.  In one report where they seemed to it was found to be a red herring as the boot delay was actually due to a different problem.

The journal from a slow boot may be useful.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-02-20 12:38:00

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Serious problems with the operating system

Please edit your topic title to actually describe your problem: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Also I'm going to assume you meant 'installation guide' and, as there is no beginners' guide anymore. If you are following a document called "beginners' guide", then it is either outdated or unsupported or both.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer