You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-22 09:40:05

Gusop

[SOLVED] First time Arch, pacman -Syu error: failed retrieving

Good morning from Berlin,

I want to install Arch on Thinkpad T420 with a 120GB Samsung SSD.
I used rufus to put the Arch ISO on USB.

First questions: Could I made some mistakes so far? Wrong settings in rufus?

Arch booted up and I followed the wiki installation guide. Wifi and ethernet cable was not working (I don't remember the error).
Now I have the problem that if I use "pacman -Syu" I get this errors: http://imgur.com/a/56l2d
Also I had problem with the regestration captcha: My output was  \`pipe pipe quote> ´#*'´

Maybe I am doing something fundamental wrong?

Thank you for your time. It is so exciting...everything is so new and strange smile I am not sure with which distribution I will stay, but I hope to leave windows behind me as soon as possible.

cheers,
Gusop

Last edited by Gusop (2017-02-22 18:20:30)

#2 2017-02-22 10:04:51

ayekat

Re: [SOLVED] First time Arch, pacman -Syu error: failed retrieving

Hi and welcome!

Gusop wrote:

Wifi and ethernet cable was not working (I don't remember the error).
Now I have the problem that if I use "pacman -Syu" I get this errors: http://imgur.com/a/56l2d

If both WiFi and ethernet do not work, how do you connect to the network (and the Internet)? The errors mean that pacman cannot resolve the package repositories' server domain names, which would indicate that the network is not set up correctly. In that case, you might want to fix the network issue first (as for most ways for installing Arch, a network connection is necessary) - what have you tried to set up the network so far?

First questions: Could I made some mistakes so far? Wrong settings in rufus?

If you were able to boot from the installation medium, I'd say that it probably went fine smile

Last edited by ayekat (2017-02-22 10:06:26)

pkgshackscfgblag

#3 2017-02-22 10:14:55

Gusop

Thank you for you quick response ayekat. I am at work now and writing from here. The WiFi LED on the T420 didn't glow.
I also can remember that all command starting with "$" didn't worked.
Yes, I checked the Network configuration guide and I remember I wanted to check the driver. "lspci -v" worked but "$ lspci -v" didn't.
I guesses I looked for the error msg for all "$" commands.
It is so funny! I was jumping from one "problem" to another one. At the end I had like 20 tabs open in my browser.
Now my fingers are itching, I want to go on with my T420 and Arch. Btw. I am new to T420 too, what a great notebook (only 200€).

#4 2017-02-22 10:25:24

ayekat

OK, wait.

The `$` just signifies the shell prompt. It usually means you have to type the commands in a shell. You might also occasionally come across `#`, which is the same, but signifies that you must run the command as the root user¹.

You shouldn't type the `$` or `#` for the command.

___
¹ User with elevated privileges; also known as "admin user" on other operating systems.

pkgshackscfgblag

Board footer