You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-23 21:36:07

Bubla
Website

The fancontrol settings persistence over reboots issue

I find the issue of fancontrol config not surviving restart addressed inadequatly in the wiki.

Not only the DEVPATH may change on reboot due to different timing of module loading, ...

It is recommended not to use lm_sensors.service to load the needed modules for fancontrol. Instead, manually place them in /etc/modules-load.d/load_these.conf since the order in which these modules are loaded dictate the order in which the needed symlinks for hwmon get created. In other words, using the lm_sensors.service causes inconsistencies boot-to-boot which will render the configuration file for fan control worthless for a consistency point of view. To avoid this problem:

If I use fancontrol without tweaking, it sometimes fails to start, sometimes it is starts OK.
The problem apparently is in order of kernel modules loading, because if I determine the order by creating the /etc/modules-load.d/sensors.conf file.
However, the fancontrol service doesn't start successfuly during system boot and I have to start it manually later (with 100% rate of success though).
I suspect that those modules are not loaded yet when fancontrol starts.

This is what I get in the log:

...: Device path of hwmon4 has changed
...: Device name of hwmon4 has changed
...: Configuration appears to be outdated, please run pwmconfig again
...: fancontrol.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

How to solve this issue? There exists an advice of replacing the device names with absolute paths, but it doesn't feel right.
The proper, or at least less cumbersome solution  would be to

1. force lm_sensors to load modules in a deterministic order, or to

2. ensure that the fancontrol service is started after all modules are loaded

Does any of you have an idea of how to accomplish any of those two?

Board footer