You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-01 08:56:06

LindyBalboa

Main drive GPT/UEFI, secondary drive MBR

Hi everyone,

So I recently acquired an SSD and a optical drive caddy for my old HDD. I set up the new SSD as GPT/UEFI but have my old Arch installation and a Windows 7 installation sitting on the HDD with MBR and I can't quite wipe and convert it yet. The SSD is using systemd-boot and on the HDD I have GRUB set up to handle dual booting. I was wondering if it is possible to chain into GRUB on the HDD from the new default systemd-boot?

Thanks!

#2 2017-03-01 20:56:34

LindyBalboa

Re: Main drive GPT/UEFI, secondary drive MBR

As per usual, the answer was somewhere in the wiki. The answe is you can't.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … imitations

However, if I could only get my BIOS to recognize the HDD in the caddy, I should be able to boot no problem. No matter what I do though, it doesn't show up as an option. I'm stumped.

#3 2017-03-02 23:34:11

cafe

Re: Main drive GPT/UEFI, secondary drive MBR

There should be a boot mode option on your BIOS setup. Rarelly, it supports both at the same time. If you want to use your HDD as primary boot device, you should set the boot mode as BIOS (also called legacy in some cases). My computer supports both boot modes, but if I boot under UEFI mode with legacy support it will only show MBR boot drives if it doesn't find any drive with a valid GPT partition table. Anyway, I think this depends on your BIOS implementation. My advice would be to dig a bit your BIOS setup options.

Board footer