You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-05 15:15:11

greengold

Gnome applications causes coredump/system freeze

Hi,
I need to start another very bulky thread here.
Today I did full system update after more than half year and I ended up being unable to stary any Gnome application.

Through there were no major issues with update, now when I start application like gnome-terminal, nautilus or gnome-settings my system halts. The screen is freezed, pointer not moving even caps-lock led not flashing on press. Can't switch to any other tty.
Programs like firefox, chrome, Intellij are still working through.

I can't give you too many clues because I can't start that gnome-terminal and paste output. Also scrolling direction has changed by itself, I think this may something to do with Wayland...
When I go to virtual terminal and issue #journalctrl -p "err" I can see something like:

systemd-coredump[1068]: Process 1066 single of user 1000 dumped core
   stack traceof thread 1066:
   #0x000023423... execv (libc.so.6)
   #0x000124ffer...  n/a (libglib-2.0.so.0)

it's not exact, I can't copy from there...

Thanks for your hints!

Last edited by greengold (2017-03-05 15:15:56)

#2 2017-03-05 17:36:15

c00ter

Re: Gnome applications causes coredump/system freeze

Since it's been a while, have you kept up with the forum? If not, then you won't know that GNOME has defaulted to a Wayland login whilst Wayland is still not 'ready for prime time' and this has created all sorts of havoc for unsuspecting GNOME users.

It could be the simplest solution for your problems may be to login with "GNOME w/Xorg" or similar. And there are other posts around here regarding the config file, if the aforementioned 'fix' doesn't.

Regards

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Board footer