You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-07 21:49:15

n-tchen

Tiny wxplot2d output in wxmaxima OR an error

Hi guys,

I spent a couple of hours with math software today mainly looking for an alternative for mathmatica. I think i found it in wxmaxima but unfortunately i encountered a problem OR another problem I couldn't solve with research smile First I tried wxmaxima (and maxima) out of the offical repository. That led me to:

Problem version #1
It worked fine except of the embedded plots where tiny (see screenshot) and I wasn't able to find out how to change the size. The actual picture (after export) is as big as it should be, only the embedded "preview" is tiny. Also imported pictures are displayed tiny. Has someone a solution for that?
l30H7tOt.png

So, because I wasn't able to solve this problem and it annoyed me, I tried the AUR version of wxmaxima (wxmaxima-git) what led to:

Problem version #2
Just after the click on the wxmaxima icon or the start per terminal an error window (KDE plasma 5 if relevant) poped up (see error afterwards). I can click it away and wxmaxima(-git) worked fine for my (very short) tests (with embedded plots at normal size, (yay!), but the error annoyed me anyway. I dug two posts up (https://sourceforge.net/p/wxmaxima/disc … /3bf76cfb/, http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=611381), but it didn't help me. I also peeked into the source of wxwidgets (https://fossies.org/dox/wxWidgets-3.1.0 … ource.html) but my programing skills are way to little in this case. Note: If i start wxmaxima as root the error doesn't show up.
I also tried maxima-ecl, but it changed nothing. Of course, because, i think, it's GUI related.

5 times the same error:

ASSERT INFO:
./src/gtk/bitmap.cpp(813): assert "IsOk()" failed in ConvertToImage(): invalid bitmap

BACKTRACE:
[1] wxBitmap::ConvertToImage() const
[2] wxString wxString::Format<int>(wxFormatString const&, int)
[3] wxString wxString::Format<int>(wxFormatString const&, int)
[4] wxSizer::AddSpacer(int)
[5] void std::__cxx11::basic_string<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t>, std::allocator<wchar_t> >::_M_construct<wchar_t*>(wchar_t*, wchar_t*, std::forward_iterator_tag)
[6] wxSizer::Add(wxSizer*, int, int, int, wxObject*)
[7] wxSizer::Add(wxSizer*, int, int, int, wxObject*)
[8] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
[9] __libc_start_main

So, maybe someone has a solution for problem #1 or #2 for me? smile

Thanks in advance
Markus

Last edited by n-tchen (2017-03-07 21:52:26)

#2 2017-03-08 08:10:57

seth

Re: Tiny wxplot2d output in wxmaxima OR an error

Just use "xmaxima". It has an option to "plot embedded" for "plot2d", doesn't show the size issue and avoids the wxwidgets overhead. (requires tcl/tk and is provided by the maxima package itself)

#3 2017-03-08 09:14:03

n-tchen

Thank you very much for your suggestion. That could maybe be a solution for me, but unfortunately i can't open xmaxima. If i try to open it, a window shows up for a couple of milliseconds and disapears immediately hmm Is there anywhere a logfile for something like that?!

Last edited by n-tchen (2017-03-08 09:39:58)

#4 2017-03-08 14:27:17

seth

sudo pacman -S tcl tk

#5 2017-03-08 15:53:34

n-tchen

Thanks, sorry, I read it like tlc/tk was provided by the maxima package. Now I understand how it it was meant.
To xmaxima: Hmm, seems okay, but wxmaxima would meetmy expectations way more with the toolbars and partly more GUI orientated stile. hmm

#6 2017-04-20 13:04:44

darkcity

Regarding problem #1 - wxplot2d tiny too small.

I'm having the same problem, I don't know if its a regression.

A work around is to use plot2d instead (not wx). This opens the plot in a separate window - but at least the graphics are a size that can be seen.

Last edited by darkcity (2017-04-20 13:05:58)

Board footer