You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-09 20:02:07

darkhawk665

[SOLVED] AMDGPU on R7 360 no OpenGL

Hello everybody.

After i upgraded my archlinux box two days ago, i'm having issues getting gnome-shell to work again (or any program that requires opengl). i have a single AMD R7 360 video card (Gigabyte) on my system which was working fine using the opensource AMDGPU driver until the upgrade.

Looking at my Xorg.log i found only these two lines marked as errors:

(EE) AMDGPU(0): eglGetDisplay failed
    (EE) AMDGPU(0): glamor detected, failed to initialize EGL.

Executing glxinfo or any other gl based application gets me:   BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)

Radeon module is blacklisted, and all config seems good (according to: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU)

Currently linux-firmware is 20170227.5abb924-1, mesa and mesa-libgl are 17.0.1-1, xf86-video-amdgpu is 1.2.0-2  and xorg-server is 1.19.2-1.

i've reinstalled all of those packages, regenerated the linux image (mkinitcpio -p linux) and so on, still i'm not able to find a solution, so any help will be much appreciated.

Full Xorg log:  http://pastebin.com/qXCARxXp
lsmod list:  http://pastebin.com/7TwM0LUk

Thank you very much.

Last edited by darkhawk665 (2017-03-10 05:59:55)

#2 2017-03-09 23:33:00

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] AMDGPU on R7 360 no OpenGL

two things stand out somewhat :

you have kernel parameter "amdgpu.exp_hw_support=1"  .
For archlinux 4.9+ official kernel that parameter should not be needed anymore as experimetnal support is enabled in the kernel config.

You appear to have a *.conf file in /etc/X11/ or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d .
If you temporarily remove that file, do things work ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-03-10 03:39:59

darkhawk665

This is what i did.

First i removed the "amdgpu.exp_hw_support=1" from the kernel params, then i removed all config files in xorg.conf.d (even the one overriding keyboard setup), and then rebooted the machine, unfortunately this didn't work as it had the same results (glamor failed to initialize EGL and same major opcode for glxinfo).

So.. I was looking to downgrade my whole packages from the ALA archieve (i cleared the pacman cache recently) but then i saw a new "mesa-17.0.1-2" package in there (note the -2),  i tried to install it using "pacman -S" but this version wasn't found there, then i decided to download the .tar.xz and installed it using "pacman -U";  weird thing... this one removed "mesa-libgl" but it worked like a charm and i have everything working now.

Also i had to temporary disable "mesa" updates from pacman given that when i try to do "pacman -Syuu" it will downgrade to "mesa-17.0.1-1", i will wait for "mesa-17.0.1-2" to undo this one.

@Lone_Wolf, thank you for your help! smile, i have found your answers on various topics useful for years now.

#4 2017-03-10 11:12:21

Lone_Wolf

You're welcome.

mesa 17.0.1-2 is in testing repo atm, that's why pacman -Syu can't find it.

The *-libgl packages are an AL hack to allow mesa and proprietary drivers to coexist on same system, but there's a better method now called GLVND .
Mesa 17.0.1-2 uses libglvnd instead of the hack.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer