You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-10 19:30:04

hoome

[Workaround] [Optimus] Bumblebee stopped working after last upgrade

Hello,

Today i had a system upgrade as usual, the upgrade had among all the packages the kernel and a upgraded driver for my nvidia card.

After the upgrade i cannot run any aplication with bumblebee, using "primusrun" or "optirun".

When i try to run any application i got the error:

primus: fatal: Bumblebee daemon reported: error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:9:0:0.  Please

I try to reboot the system since upgrading the kernel sometimes does not load the nvidia driver properly, but no sucess.

I've also checked if my video card was indeed in that PCI Address (that happened before) and it is, as my lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev e4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev e4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5227 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
08:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
09:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] (rev a1)

These are the installed packages for bumblebee on my system:

bbswitch, bumblebee, nvidia-settings, nvidia-utils, lib32-nvidia-utils, mesa, mesa-demos, vulkan-intel, vulkan-icd-loader, lib32-mesa, lib32-mesa-libgl,  lib32-vulkan-intel

I've searched at the wiki and tested this solution without sucess.

I've got a Xorg.log from bumblebee at /var/log/Xorg.8.log, here.
This is my bumblebee.conf file here

The systemd status for bumblebeed daemon is active (running) as usual.
The nvidia module appears to be loaded as say by lsmod.

Its a Dell laptop with a Intel GMA and Nvidia GT740M card.

Sorry about my bad english, its not my native language, i hope that you can understand and help me if you can.

New information, at the boot process ive got the follow error that i wasnt noticing early:

bbswitch: No Suitable _DSM call found

For that reason here is my dmesg.

Last edited by hoome (2017-03-10 22:51:18)

#2 2017-03-10 22:49:33

hoome

Re: [Workaround] [Optimus] Bumblebee stopped working after last upgrade

Hello,

I just found a workaroud for the situation.

I changed my kernel to the LTS release (since i cannot downgrade the kernel package) and also changed all my drivers to the LTS release, and the LTS release is working fine, no problems at all.

bbswitch does not give that _DSM error again and optimus/primus are working once again.

I also hold the lts packages on pacman.conf to avoid any updates for now. I will wait a while before upgrading this packages to avoid this problem.

So, for those wich have this problem a nice workaroud is to install linux-lts and replace nvidia driver and bbswitch with the correct LTS version and all should work fine, i also recommend to freeze the packages for now.

I ask if someone who has better knowledge about nvidia and the kernel to seek the correct solution for this situation.

Last edited by hoome (2017-03-10 22:51:01)

#3 2017-03-14 16:14:04

ZSmith

Re: [Workaround] [Optimus] Bumblebee stopped working after last upgrade

There was a recent update that broke some things on optimus laptops check the Arch Linux hompage for details I'd post a link but I'm behind a filtered WiFI connection right now) and a possible solution that requires creating a xorg config file.

Board footer