You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-12 02:20:27

mreiland

Why is KDevelop 5 slow as molasses?

I'm running a relatively fresh install of Arch (< 2 months old) and I just installed KDevelop 5.

My CPU is an i7-5820K with 16GB of ram and an nvidia Geforce 1050 ti with the stock arch linux kernel.

I'm running i3 as my desktop manager and when I open kdevelop it grinds to a halt.  I'm talking, open a menu and sit and wait.  roll your mouse down to the bottom of that menu and then sit and wait.

htop is telling me one my cores is pegged @ 90% while kdevelop is open, but still... I can literally run windows 7 with visual studio inside virtualbox and get better performance.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Last edited by mreiland (2017-03-12 02:59:58)

#2 2017-03-12 18:57:00

mreiland

Re: Why is KDevelop 5 slow as molasses?

I don't know how to delete a post, but it turns out the night before I had created a "session" that pointed at the unreal engine 4 sources, and I think it was just trying to index the entire thing using a single thread for everything (and it's a large codebase).

It wasn't obvious that when I re-opened kdevelop it was re-opening the same "session'.  It was so bad that even the initial screen that pops up was slow as molasses, definitely a design problem.

What ended up happening is that on a whim I stuck through the slowness and created a new project, which in turn created a new "session".  As soon as I did that all performance issues went away.  It wasn't until that happened that I realized it must've been trying to index the UE4 codebase.

So ultimately a PEBKAC error, but really it shouldn't have started indexing until after I had explicitly opened the session (and I feel like it should be done in  background process/thread so it doesn't interfere with the UI thread).

#3 2017-03-12 19:41:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Why is KDevelop 5 slow as molasses?

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer