You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-12 13:04:01

TristeShine

Deepin Desktop Environment doesn't show background

I installed Deepin Desktop Environment on ArchLinux. It seems that everythings goes well except the desktop background.

The dock shows up. The app launcher goes well. The control center works well. I can open any installed applications as I want. However, the background is totally black and the right click of mouse doesn't show anything out. Intuitively, the desktop component failed to work.

In addition, I didn't manage to startx in the tty mode, which maybe related with the issue of black desktop. I have installed xorg-server, xorg-utils, xorg-server-utils, xorg-xinit, xterm, xorg-twm.
I used to run a gnome desktop. I tried to install plasma desktop and deepin desktop in parallel with gnome and there was the same problem. This time I removed all gnome packages (actually all packages except base and base-devel). But it still won't work.

Is it possible to fix this ? Or should I just reinstall the whole system ?
Thank you.

Last edited by TristeShine (2017-03-12 13:04:37)

#2 2017-03-12 15:33:58

Stefan Husmann

Re: Deepin Desktop Environment doesn't show background

Did you set the background in any way? I do not know deepin, but I could imagine black as the default background.

I didn't manage to startx in the tty mode

What did you do? Show your .xinitrc.

I have installed xorg-server, xorg-utils, xorg-server-utils, xorg-xinit, xterm, xorg-twm.

Why xorg-twm and xorg-xterm? What xf86-* packages?

#3 2017-03-12 16:30:27

TristeShine

@Stefan Husmann
Thanks for your reply.

My .xinitrc is empty, but I hava run startx successfully with sudo.

The problem is not due to a black wallpaper, because I can't see neither the right click menu on desktop. As I know, the wallpaper setting access is in the right click menu. If it is a black wallpaper, at least I should see my right click menu.

I installed xf86-video-vesa package.

Last edited by TristeShine (2017-03-12 16:30:45)

#4 2017-03-12 22:20:58

Stefan Husmann

Starting startx without telling the system you want to use deepin does not start deepin. And sudo is the wrong tool here.

Read the wiki article about deepin. There you find that you should have

exec startdde

in your .xinitrc.

Again, what did you do? I can only guess that you started a plain X as root user. There the black background would be normal.

#5 2017-03-12 23:44:55

TristeShine

Sorry, I didn't exprime myself clearly.

So, the startx and desktop background problems are two seprated ones.
The black background problem is as what I described in last posts.

I posted the startx issue becuase I thought it would be related with the background problem, maybe not. Actually, I don't really care about this if it is not related with the desktop problem. I ran this command just to verify that my graphics drive works well. I combined this two issues because I thought they might due to the same problem, since they are all linked with the screen display functionnality.

Concerning the manner to start dde, the wiki gives two different ways, and what I use is to install lightdm-deepin-greeter and enable lightdm when boot on. So I can log into the desktop environment and do most operations as normal, except the desktop.

Sorry for my poor English and thanks again for your reply.

#6 2017-03-13 02:23:51

c00ter

Have you installed wallpaper for Deepin to use, or does DDE provide them?

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#7 2017-03-13 14:03:18

TristeShine

c00ter wrote:

Have you installed wallpaper for Deepin to use, or does DDE provide them?

Am I supposed to install wallpaper manually ? I will try it. Thanks.

#8 2017-03-17 15:36:04

Warper

Hey TristeShine,

I also use DDE and I've realized that every now and then the wallpaper simply disappears and sometimes the right-click menu also disappears. Yesterday I upgraded my system and today my background went black but the right click menu is back so I could change the background.

My advice is: If you like DDE you'll have to bear with some of these annoyances. DDE has improved a lot and it has become into a very beatiful and usable environment. So, give a pacman -Syu a try and see what happens.

Regards,
Warper

Board footer