You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-12 22:35:12

Lorxu

Some desktop environments fail to start

I've been using Budgie for a while, then it stopped working. I don't think I had just updated or installed anything, either. When I try to start it, my background comes up, sometimes along with a grey bar at the top where my panel is, then it dissapears and X stops. It gives me the error message:

xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)

This is starting it from TBSM. Other display managers (I tried SDDM, GDM, and just startx with a modified .xinitrc) give similar results.
So, I tried other desktops. TheShell doesn't say anything on the console, but it lets me set it up with the wizard before giving me a black screen and a "Something went wrong" type message box. It gives a backtrace leading to libQt5DBus.so.5. Plasma, all variants of GNOME, and Enlightenment seem to work fine, as do LXQt and Steam Big Picture (as a standalone X session.) Well, except for that Plasma says it couldn't sync DBus when I start it from SDDM, and FVWM quits immediately with no error messages when I start it from TBSM, but when I add it to .xinitrc and run startx, it works fine. Openbox works, KDE/Openbox doesn't.
I'm on a Radeon r9 270x with the Mesa drivers, if it matters, (I don't have mesa-libgl, though, because of a weird error where it has a package conflict with mesa,) and a FX 8350 processor. No idea if any of these problems are seperate or all related, since they mostly seem to have different error messages.

Update:
Did some more testing. Budgie and Openbox now both say:

xinit: connection to X server lost

Last edited by Lorxu (2017-03-14 21:27:36)

Board footer