You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-16 14:54:17

twiistedkaos

Is Gates' retirement Linux's big chance?

#2 2006-06-16 15:02:17

profoX
Website

Re: Is Gates' retirement Linux's big chance?

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols is a real M$ hater afaik, so I don't take his articles too seriously when they are about M$ wink however, it would be nice if he could prove me wrong.

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom.
But sharing data is the first step toward community.

#3 2006-06-16 15:22:50

twiistedkaos

True; I agree no your points. But I also agree on his. Bill is M$ face, spokesman and montivation. When he retires, alot is going to be happening fast. And if linux doesn't take control of the situation, it'll loose it once again.

#4 2006-06-16 16:08:07

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Hardly anything will change if/when bill leaves.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2006-06-16 16:32:25

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I think this is more like a big chance for linux - more people actually using Linux is what will break the monopoly - the MS business plan and hegemony are hardly going to crumble overnight...

#6 2006-06-16 17:12:27

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I don't see why Linux needs any big chances, it seems to be doing its own thing quite happily oblivious to the goings on of the rest of the world...

Dusty

#7 2006-06-16 17:44:07

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty, I largely agree but I don't like the fact that 99% of people are oblivious to Linux's existence; that people know what Windows is but don't know what an operating system is - it just cheeses me off.

#8 2006-06-16 18:26:26

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dtw wrote:

Dusty, I largely agree but I don't like the fact that 99% of people are oblivious to Linux's existence;

I don't think it really matters. I'd say a good 99.99% of people are oblivious to the existence of my home town, but it doesn't make it any less of a place to live.

Hot DAMN, I love analogy!!!!!!

Dusty

#9 2006-06-16 18:30:32

kensai
Website

Linux is doing great and nothing changes if Bill leaves or stays, Linux keep being better than Windows at least for me.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#10 2006-06-16 21:45:47

jaboua

Gates isn't retiring... Look at the link posted at the side linked too - there's an update:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1977401,00.asp

Updated: Founder Bill Gates will continue as chairman for the company, while two chief technology officers will step in to take his other roles.

#11 2006-06-16 22:42:18

Moo-Crumpus

I don't care of ms' future, and am wondering why you do.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#12 2006-06-17 04:01:51

deficite

I really think people are making a bigger deal out of Bill Gates stepping down than it really is. I think Vista will scare some people away from Windows (it's certainly scared me away from Windows. Vista sucks). As well as the fact that the state of Linux as a desktop is really shapening up. I know some people here hate Ubuntu, but I think we can all pat them on the back regardless. They're doing some great things of bringing desktop linux to the masses.

#13 2006-06-17 08:33:57

trapdoor
Website

Nothing will change, or do you think that Gates makes all the decicions in Microsoft on his own? If he drops out, someone else takes his place and everything continues like always.

#14 2006-06-17 12:29:59

Tatey
Website

Microsoft is a company comprised of multiple individuals. Bill Gates may have a strong influence, but he's hardly the be-all-and-end-all of MS. Somebody will replace his position, and they'll continue on.

Check out my website, http://tatey.com

#15 2006-06-17 12:56:53

lumiwa

My opinion is if is Gates president or me or someone from this forum will be the same. Microsoft is a big company and IMO goverment support them too.
Important is that became Linux more user friendly, that user just put CD in and type install and don't need to do nothing more and stay secure as is secure now than will be Windows in "trouble".

#16 2006-06-17 15:35:48

deficite

Bill Gates isn't president; he's the chairman. I think his only purpose in Microsoft for the past lot of years is that all the Bubbas and Billy Joes think he's some genius guy that programmed Windows by himself. So they get Gates to say a few things here and there and the press makes a larger deal out of it than it really is.

Read this: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ … siness-hed

#17 2006-06-19 04:44:53

ScriptDevil

i dont know why people dont like gates. He may have made his software non-free in all senses of the term, but still look at the number of places he has rehabilitated. I am yet to see a linux distro as newbie friendly as XP. Even Xandaros widely ack. the easiest distro has cross over office which is payware.! You cant expect the people in the villages to learn no to rm -rf /* or anything so command linish
So long live Gates.
Also it is a good thing 99.99 are oblivious of the existence of linux. We dont want too many people here, do we?? Imagine 1000 forum posts per day and only 30 who reply./ Even phrakture cant manage that!
So let bill go his way. He has helped india a lot, during tsunamis, development of infra structure... He earns a lot, but like robin hood, he helps people. His life history is a motivation to all who are depressed!
I still admire him. One of the reasons i moved to Linux was- I did not want to pirate poor Bill's work.

May the force be with all of us and Bill

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#18 2006-06-19 04:46:54

ScriptDevil

Finally -I HATE ubuntu. and vista certainly looks hot! But it is as the hottest women in the world are, sure to be chased down by security holes!

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#19 2006-06-19 05:57:21

twiistedkaos

ScriptDevil wrote:

Finally -I HATE ubuntu. and vista certainly looks hot! But it is as the hottest women in the world are, sure to be chased down by security holes!

Vista looks hot? Lol, it's nothing more than XP with better graphics and more of a ram hog. All the "special" affects they said they would add, they failed to do so wink.

#20 2006-06-19 07:37:19

benplaut

ScriptDevil wrote:

don't hate... debian derivs contain a large amount of awesomeness  lol

#21 2006-06-19 10:06:05

profoX
Website

ScriptDevil, have you tried ubuntu ?

And this is just my opinion, but Bill Gates is a crook. M$ steals ideas (mac os x, linux - anyone) and code (qdos, ibm anyone)
And by being a crook he got rich. That's true.
And as the hypocrite he is, he gives away money to charity. Which in itself is a very good thing!
It *IS* alot of money.
It *IS* a good thing.
But let's face it, what he put into his foundation (about $5 billion, is nothing for him, he owns $50 billion, and its only growing)
Just my opinion; I don't love the man. But it's alot of money, if you look at the hard figures.

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom.
But sharing data is the first step toward community.

#22 2006-06-19 12:35:21

palandir

As long as most commercial game developers ignore Linux, there will never be a "big" run for Linux. The Linux userbase will continue to grow, but slowly.
That's because many home systems are mostly for games. Children/teenagers like to play games, that's why they probably grow up using Windows, and get automatically used to that system. If they don't have the newest games they will want to have them, because their friends do. This is Microsoft's big advantage, and they certainly know that.
Switching to Linux then means a) get used to a completely different environment and/or b) abandon your games or play them with (probably) some drawbacks via Wine/Cedega. This means the casual user will stick to Windows unless he has a good Linux friend or a good book and the time/will to read it.

And as for Vista, it will go on like before. People said they'd stick to Win2000 when XP came out, but some months later they ran XP, either because they suddenly liked it better or because it came pre-installed on their system. DRM etc.? No one knows about that.

It's just wishful thinking to say "Woah, crappy new Windows version, people will surely switch to Linux now". We already had that many times in the past.

We're a minority, and the casual user is far more un-knowledgeable and ignorant than you can imagine.

#23 2006-06-19 18:52:11

deficite

I wasn't asking for you to like Ubuntu, but it deserves a pat on the back. Anything that expands the Linux community is a good thing. And to expand that community without being a totally unuseful n00b-only distro is quite an accomplishment. I ran Kubuntu for quite a while and even me, someone competant in Linux, enjoyed it. The only reason I went back to Arch was because I wanted something a little simpler to me, as an advanced user. It doesn't mean Ubuntu is unusable at all though. Dapper is really great (Breezy sucked) and Edgy is going to really be awesome. I think Edgy's going to benefit the whole Linux community even if you don't use Ubuntu.

Board footer