You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-15 20:33:43

JBman100

Boot messages & questions

Hello everyone ! This is my first post on the forum, having installed Arch recently and loving it so far. You guys really did an amazing job, the wiki is crystal clear, and my hardware seems to be reborn.

My laptop is an old Toshiba I salvaged and upgraded with Linux to learn the ropes, and used it with Ubuntu reasonably well. Wanting to stop being spoon-fed, I partitioned and dual-booted with Arch, but I now get "error" messages when starting/rebooting that did not appear when I used Ubuntu: therefore I wanted to know if I should be concerned, after having read portions of the wiki and not having found anything.

On bootup, I get:
- ACPI watchdog device creation failed -16
- platform wdat_wdt failed to claim resource 1
followed by clean partition, not really concerning, and:
- kvm: disabled by bios
twice.

On reboot:
- sp5100_tco: Unexpected close, not stopping watchdog!
twice.

A traduction of a french saying being 'better preventing than mending', I ask my questions in the newbie corner.

I just have two side notes, as I assume they do not need another post for themselves:
- Where are the system logs ? I looked in /var/log to copy paste here but found everything encrypted ..
- I cannot get pacman to install the zsnes package, I tried syncing the databases, and I am still getting the target not found error.

Thanks to everyone who will take the time to read this !

#2 2017-03-15 21:00:36

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Boot messages & questions

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-03-15 21:10:57

JBman100

Thanks ! I did not realise zsnes was part of that repo.

#4 2017-03-17 20:04:55

JontySR

The 'kvm: disabled by bios' message is fine unless you want to use virtualization. KVM stands for Kernel Virtual Machine, and all the message is telling you is that you have a form of virtualization disabled in the bios (think Intel VT or AMD-V). The message should go away if you enable virtualization in the bios.

I'm not sure about the others, but I am sure that a quick search will allow you to deduce what they are talking about.

Great, now my time is split between school, friends, and messing around with Linux. I'm cool with it.
Jonty

#5 2017-03-17 21:54:44

paulkerry

JBman100 wrote:

On reboot:
- sp5100_tco: Unexpected close, not stopping watchdog!
twice.

Hi and welcome

You should always search before posting - here is a similar thread...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218618

Board footer