Website

Re: rc.lua - can't assign app to tag

Here's yours:

{ rule = { class = "Navigator" ,"Firefox" },
      properties = { screen = 1, tag = "2" } },

Here's the default, that works:

{ rule = { class = "Firefox" },
      properties = { screen = 1, tag = "2" } },

The default works.  Why are you changing it?  'class' should be a string, not a list.  Technically I don't think yours is even a list.  I think lists in lua need braces, but I'm crap at lua.  In any case, use the working template.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#27 2017-03-16 23:30:02

ebscriptwalker

I changed it  because someone said in a previous comment to use xprop to find the window class, and it provided the additional "navigator"I do understand the default should work, and although I don't get any error messages with it simply uncommented I also don't get  the functionality from the default which has been the whole reason for this post. And for the life of me I cannot figure out why. After reading this I removed the Navigator portion and still no function. yet no error msgs. I am pretty baffled I am gonna go on ahead and start from scratch, I may even remove and reinstall awesome just to see how that goes, but I won't have time till the weekend for that. Thank you for your help. and if I figure out what I am doing wrong I will post it.

Darkness is deepest before dawn, in a moment my vision is filled with confusing figures, As I patiently feel my way through this strange enviroment,  my view becomes more, and more clear. As I step into the light fear and confusion give way to to excitement understanding, and enlightenment. These things I could not find without first taking a step into the unknown. Thank you arch!

#28 2017-03-16 23:40:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Window "class" is, unfortunately, an ambiguous term.  The output of xprop is a list of "atoms".  Each variable in caps (e.g. WM_CLASS, WM_HINTS) is an atom.  An atom can contain a variety of data types, sometimes a string, sometimes a list of strings.  The ambiguity comes from the fact that there is a atom called WM_NAME and an atom called WM_CLASS, but WM_CLASS is itself a list of two strings which are the window's resource name and resource class.

Window managers can match against the resource name or resource class (the first and second parts of WM_CLASS).  As your rule is checking for a match against "class" that is only the second part of WM_CLASS - in this case "Firefox".

Strictly speaking a window manager *could* match against WM_NAME, but that would rarely make much, if any, sense as that is a much more dynamic value.  In the case of Firefox, the window's WM_NAME will change every time you navigate to a new page as it includes the page title.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#29 2017-03-16 23:53:39

ebscriptwalker

That makes alot of sense, and I thought it was rather odd that no one else had it in any other examples, but it seems that my problem is strange. I actually just backed up my rc.lua and then replaced it with the default from /etc/xdg/awesome/. When I did this and uncommented the rule in question it still provided the same results of only opening it on the first tag. I also then tried replacing tag 2 with 3  and 4 with the same results.

Last edited by ebscriptwalker (2017-03-16 23:55:03)

Darkness is deepest before dawn, in a moment my vision is filled with confusing figures, As I patiently feel my way through this strange enviroment,  my view becomes more, and more clear. As I step into the light fear and confusion give way to to excitement understanding, and enlightenment. These things I could not find without first taking a step into the unknown. Thank you arch!

#30 2017-03-17 00:03:51

JohnBobSmith

You can ask the moderators, but please don't blank your posts: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#31 2017-03-17 00:09:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You can, and should, use the "edit" button on your post rather than posting several posts in sequence.

EDIT: I've removed the extra posts.

#32 2017-03-17 00:09:31

ebscriptwalker

I won't then thank you.

#33 2017-03-17 00:11:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

As for the problem - can you try assinging other windows to tags to see if this really is your config not working as it should or if it is just a firefox thing.   We've eliminated a lot of errors in your config, but the default example should work just fine - if it's not, I'm at a bit of a loss.

#34 2017-03-17 00:26:10

ebscriptwalker

After resaving the rc.lua default it worked. I'm  gonna rebuild off of it. Thank you for your help and once again if I find the problem during rebuilding I will post the cause of my issue. Also next time I will absolutely start by rebuilding which I now realise I should have done to begin with.

Last edited by ebscriptwalker (2017-03-17 00:27:18)

Board footer