You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-16 22:55:04

stabwound

Games won't recognize Right Alt / Control keys, even when remapped

I'm trying to use my laptop keyboard's right alt and control keys, but games don't recognize their keypresses at all.

I even tried remapping them to other, recognized keys with xkb, and the remapping is recognized when I check with xev, but games still don't register the keys at all.

I'm very stuck here, does anyone have any idea what I might be able to do here?

#2 2017-03-17 11:28:48

Lone_Wolf

Re: Games won't recognize Right Alt / Control keys, even when remapped

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-03-17 23:53:39

stabwound

Thanks, but not so much... I've been reading that article and trying to figure it out, but no luck so far.

I tried swapping the keys out with both xmodmap and xkbset, even when xev shows that "alt" and "control" are mapped to "F11" and "F12", the games still won't accept those keys. Even if I straight up tell the game that the "shoot" button is "F11", it won't work if F11 is mapped to "Control".

Sorry if that's confusing. Is it possible that the game is reading the keycode itself? Any ideas?

#4 2017-03-18 14:15:33

Lone_Wolf

There are games that bypass X and do their own keyboard handling.

Often they refuse to accept modifier keys (  CTRL , ALT, Meta (often has  a windows symbol on it) as input as those tend to be handled at low level, very close the hardware.
Well-behaving userland programs are  not supposed to change things at low level.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2017-03-19 19:51:50

stabwound

It's weird because it recognizes all of the Fn/Ctrl/Windows/Alt keys on the left side, but Ctrl/Alt on the RIGHT side are the only ones not recognized.

I had the same problem with a different game, but remapping those keys to other ones worked.

#6 2017-03-20 11:41:33

Lone_Wolf

Is your right ALT key labeled ALT Gr ?

#7 2017-03-20 16:01:28

JohnBobSmith

Which games have you tried/tested? We can than check if those games are bad/bugged in this way, or if something else is wrong with your system.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#8 2017-03-20 19:35:54

stabwound

It's just labelled "Alt", nothing special. The game in question is actually a free game in the AUR, tome4: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tome4/

If anyone feels like testing out if you can remap keys using the right alt/ctrl buttons, feel free. Plus it's a pretty good game if like RPGs.

Board footer