You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-17 10:00:21

Simulacrum

Multiple Arch-Linux and GRUB

Hello everyone,

the first thing to say: sorry, my english is bad. I hope everything is understandable big_smile

What im trying to do: Install Arch Linux (three times) on one device. Every (encrypted) / partition has its own /boot partition, just because I need completly seperated systems. Now, the systems are installed. I installed GRUB with every system, and with the last installation i tried multiple things to get Grub to recognize the other partitions. I mounted the partitions, i installed os-prober for autodetection, i gave them different names in /etc/default/grub and so on.

Now my question is: Is there a way to add these entries automaticly? I found a lot about this in the web, but all for ubuntu, using update-grub (which isnt available for Arch).

... Or do i have to add these entries manually? I thought about this before, so i already collected the UUIDs of the partitions.   

Thanks in advance,

Greetings, Simulacrum

#2 2017-03-17 18:06:18

c00ter

Re: Multiple Arch-Linux and GRUB

Simulacrum wrote:

using update-grub (which isnt available for Arch).

But is available in the AUR.

Regards

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#3 2017-03-17 20:12:18

Simulacrum

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't work hmm I read on an other board that this tool is (usually) for Debian-Based OSs.

However, i tried it with the partitions mounted and without. Is there another way to do it "quick"? If not, its not a big deal, ill do it manually.

EDIT: I used >> sudo update-grub -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg << My fault? The --help page isnt that big ^.^

OT: The qt4 Package isn't listed as a dependency of the vlc media player. If you install vlc via pacman without having qt4, the GUI wont work. Is this a bug? Is there any place where i can report this? (Sorry im not an Arch-Veteran)

EDIT2: The problem is solved (more or less). I did it the manual way (creating a "own config" with /etc/grub.d/40_custom). But there is still the open question about a tool. If there is none, or not a working one for Arch, i could think about writing one (pure Pyhton) to generate a 40_custom script.

Last edited by Simulacrum (2017-03-17 20:50:49)

#4 2017-03-18 01:59:25

c00ter

From a terminal, running solely:

sudo update-grub

...has been the only case in which I have used it. It's just a simple wrapper. I responded because you had mentioned that the package 'update-grub' was not listed in the Arch  repos. I have used it to manually update changes made to one installation only, but with multiple kernels. I do not think it is an efficient tool for your case-use. I would recommended further research into GRUB https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB, especially the "generate the main configuration file" section.

Regards

Last edited by c00ter (2017-03-18 14:38:29)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#5 2017-03-18 11:22:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Simulacrum wrote:

I found a lot about this in the web, but all for ubuntu, using update-grub (which isnt available for Arch).

The `update-grub` command is a simple wrapper:

Helium: ~ $ cat `which update-grub`
#!/bin/sh
set -e
exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"
Helium: ~ $

It is a completely pointless abstraction and Arch is correct not to implement it, IMO.

#6 2017-03-18 14:46:28

Slithery
Administrator

Simulacrum wrote:

OT: The qt4 Package isn't listed as a dependency of the vlc media player. If you install vlc via pacman without having qt4, the GUI wont work. Is this a bug? Is there any place where i can report this? (Sorry im not an Arch-Veteran)

This is the intended behaviour, some people use VLC without the GUI so qt4 is an optional dependency. It's clearly stated both on the VLC wiki page and by pacman  that you need to install qt4 if you want to use the GUI.

Last edited by Slithery (2017-03-18 15:12:12)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#7 2017-03-18 21:03:07

Simulacrum

Alright, thanks to all of you.

Greetings.

Board footer