You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-18 18:01:43

jaXke

[SOLVED]Arch fails to boot

Hi,

Just bought a new SSD and installed Arch on it. I used it for two days and tried VMware with Windows(to test if the disk is actually as fast as people claim). However as usual this $Microsoft$ product absolutely destroyed my workflow and had to force shutdown the computer and now I can't boot Arch anymore. GRUB has no problem in launching arch but when it's done I get a prompt saying "Device UUID not found, can't access TTY". So I booted my old HDD(almost identical Arch install) with the SSD still in(got a Thinkpad with two hard disk interfaces) and tried to repair fstab  with no luck. Chrooted, blkid does not show any output, removed Linux and tried to reistall:

error: could not open file: /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
error: could not determine filesystem mount points
error: not enough free disk space
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Tried to "ln -sf ../proc/self/mounts mtab" in /etc, now I have a mtab file in there but the previous problem persists.

lsblk:

lsblk: failed to access sysfs directory: /sys/dev/block: No such file or directory

fdisk -l:

fdisk: cannot open /proc/partitions: No such file or directory

What else can I try? I've never had my computer this messed up.. Thanks!

Edit. Solved, note to self, always use arch-chroot instead of the standard chroot big_smile

Last edited by jaXke (2017-03-18 19:00:59)

#2 2017-03-18 18:10:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Arch fails to boot

jaXke wrote:

So I booted my old HDD(almost identical Arch install) with the SSD still in(got a Thinkpad with two hard disk interfaces) and tried to repair fstab  with no luck. Chrooted, blkid does not show any output, removed Linux and tried to reistall

This is far too vague — you need to post the full, exact commands that you used and also show the configuration files that you have created and any relevant command output.

If you only have a live Arch system, use a pastebin client to generate a URL that can be posted here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … in_clients

#3 2017-03-18 18:22:16

jaXke

Okay,

I didn't use any commands to "repair" fstab just manually added an entry for sda2 because I can't figure out the UUID. https://ptpb.pw/IYWn(etc/fstab)

Apparentally the mtab file is empty so my mistake, however I have no idea how, or if it's even possible, to generate it.

#genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
#cat /mnt/etc/fstab

->new  /etc/fstab https://ptpb.pw/JBG0

Still get the same errors on installing linux.

Last edited by jaXke (2017-03-18 18:31:56)

#4 2017-03-18 18:41:38

dockland

You can use

blkid

to get your UUID

E: i cant see any boot partitions, they both are commented out.

E2: Now i saw you've already tried blkid, just for the record, are you chrooted in your system?

Last edited by dockland (2017-03-18 18:44:59)

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

#5 2017-03-18 18:47:15

loqs

jaXke wrote:

Chrooted,

What commands did you use to do this?

jaXke wrote:

removed Linux and tried to reistall

Please post either the complete pacman.log  for the system or from the when the issue occurred onwards

#6 2017-03-18 18:59:19

jaXke

dockland wrote:

You can use

blkid

to get your UUID

E: i cant see any boot partitions, they both are commented out.

E2: Now i saw you've already tried blkid, just for the record, are you chrooted in your system?

Yes, I was chrooted.

loqs wrote:
jaXke wrote:

Chrooted,

What commands did you use to do this?

jaXke wrote:

removed Linux and tried to reistall

Please post either the complete pacman.log  for the system or from the when the issue occurred onwards

# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
# chroot /mnt

and, at this point I thought might as well try arch-chroot, and managed to install linux! The reason I didn't do this at square one was because I didn't have arch-install-scripts on the live system, so I used the gnu chroot tool. I always thought they're the same programs in the end but apparentally not? I managed to fix the system now, I guess genfstab did add the correct entry to fstab. Thanks for helping guys!

#7 2017-03-18 19:24:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

jaXke wrote:
# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
# chroot /mnt

and, at this point I thought might as well try arch-chroot, and managed to install linux! The reason I didn't do this at square one was because I didn't have arch-install-scripts on the live system, so I used the gnu chroot tool. I always thought they're the same programs in the end but apparentally not?

You can attain a rough approximation of the `arch-chroot` script by using:

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
for i in /proc /sys /dev /dev/pts;do mount --bind $i /mnt$i;done
chroot /mnt

Board footer