You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-23 05:38:19

ivanborodin

moving large file from Windows to arch with cifs-utils stops at 45 MB

I have a laptop with arch and cifs-utils (and no other SAMBA component) installed mounting a remote share on a Windows Server 2008 R2 as (in /etc/fstab) cifs rw,noauto,nounix,noserverino,user,credentials=whatever.

The remote share has read/write permissions for the credentials I'm mounting with and works as expected when accessed from other Windows machines running the same OS version for as long as I can remember.

I had no problems accessing the share from arch and copying files from Windows to arch for the past months until today when instead I attempted to move files: to my surprise any file larger than 45 MB gets chopped at 45 MB; eg: a 650 MB iso image on the server results on a 45 MB file only and the move operation (if it involves many files) aborts there without any reported error. At first I thought there was something wrong with a particular file but it was ruled out after a few minutes of testing: other Windows-based machines can move the file as expected and if copied instead of moving from arch the file gets copied as expected too. So the problem is when moving.

Can anyone (running cifs-utils only) test moving some large files from a Windows box to arch ?

Here arch is up-to-date with cifs-utils 6.7-2

#2 2017-03-23 06:25:04

HiImTye

Re: moving large file from Windows to arch with cifs-utils stops at 45 MB

does it work correctly if you use an alternate utility, eg. rsync?

#3 2017-03-23 06:42:32

ivanborodin

just did:

cd /mnt/whatever; ### the mounted share for the Windows server where the source files are
rsync -t *.iso ~/whatever; ### an empty directory on my home

it worked; the large iso's where copied to /home/whatever but ... this means copying, not moving, and I did not have problems with copying files

#4 2017-03-23 06:50:24

ivanborodin

by the way: I attempted moving the file the other way around: from arch to Windows

mv /home/whatever/sample.iso /mnt/whatever; ### where sample iso is 270 MB and destination folder is empty

and after the mv command completes (without reporting anything wrong) I did:

ls /mnt/whatever;

and got:

ls: cannot open directory ...: host is down

Afterwards I checked on the server box and there's a sample.iso with size 49.7 MB (52,166,656 bytes)

#5 2017-03-23 07:46:33

HiImTye

ivanborodin wrote:

it worked; the large iso's where copied to /home/whatever but ... this means copying, not moving, and I did not have problems with copying files

rsync --delete-source-files
ivanborodin wrote:

ls: cannot open directory ...: host is down

this would suggest that there's some sort of networking issue, which was my first suspicion, except that you said copying vs moving works as expected. is your Arch box on wifi vs wired?

#6 2017-03-23 18:11:28

ivanborodin

Wired connection.

Im not familiar with rsync yet, I suppose you mean --remove-source-files:

cd /mnt/whatever; ### the mounted share for the Windows server where the source files are
rsync --remove-source-files *.iso ~/whatever; ### an empty directory on my home

... works as expected.

And the other way around:

rsync --remove-source-files ~/whatever/*.iso ./;

... works as expected too.

Now:

mv *.iso ~/whatever;
ls ~/whatever;

sample.iso is @ 45 MB = 46,792,704 bytes ... so it is incomplete; and this time no host is down message at all

Board footer