You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-24 00:03:17

tenfoxes
Website

(ALSA) Routing output from Loopback into Chromium's microphone input

My long-term goal is to set things up such that I can route sound from both my microphone and a running program into Google Hangouts, although I'm not entirely sure this is possible. At this point, I'm trying to play sound into the virtual Loopback card from the snd-aloop module and have Chromium listen on the other end. Theoretically it seems like everything necessary is there, but I'm not actually getting any sound into Chromium.

I'm running:

aplay -D "hw:Loopback,0,0" test.wav

and then setting the microphone in Chromium to:

A list of microphones in Chromium's settings, with 'Loopback, Loopback PCM-Front speakers' selected

The reason I'm using the "Front speakers" option is because the normal microphone option that works is "HDA Intel PCH, CS4206 Analog-Front speakers", although I've tried it with the other Loopback option just to check. I've also tried playing through a number of different channels on the Loopback card. So far, all I've gotten is silence.

I know this is a little opaque, but does anyone have a sense of what might be going on, or maybe a different route of attack I could take? My hope is that if I can get this working, I can send sound coming in from the microphone to the Loopback card just as easily, and then it ideally should just be a matter of routing the sound from the program to the card at the same time, maybe using dmix? I'm just now starting to become properly familiar with configuring ALSA so it's possible that I'm oversimplifying things.

Board footer