You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-24 00:06:55

chasbel2112

Thinkpad TLP packages and Linux dependency

If one looks at the Arch wiki, one will see that tlp_smapi and acpi_call should be installed alongside TLP on a Thinkpad. Clicking through to these package's individual pages will reveal that the linux kernel and linux-headers are dependencies of these two packages.
My question is for those Thinkpad owners running TLP that wish to use a kernel outside the "standard" Linux, such as LTS, GRSec, or Linux-Zen. Does the dependency of the standard kernel require that that kernel be used, thereby negating features of other kernels? If not, does it simply operate as a "backup" kernel in the event that the primary fails to boot? I can see utility in this function but would rather not have it simply sitting on the system taking up space.
Lastly, referring back to my question on the use of the standard kernel as a backup kernel, is any special configuration required to ensure that functionality?
Thanks for any insight that can be provided!

#2 2017-03-24 13:29:50

Lone_Wolf

Re: Thinkpad TLP packages and Linux dependency

Those packages provide kernel modules and need to be build against a specific kernel version to work with that kernel.

AUR has several packages that build these modules for different kernels, including dkms packages that will be build automagickally when you update/install a kernel.

The *-dkms pacakges should work fine with linux-lts , for grsec & and zen kernels dkms may not work due to their special values.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2017-03-24 13:30:23)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-03-24 20:45:16

chasbel2112

Re: Thinkpad TLP packages and Linux dependency

Reddit beat you to the punch on -dkms, although the redditor did not mention the potential for breakage with the grsec and zen. Shame really, Zen was the most interesting to me.
It does appear that there is a acpi_call-lts package in the community repos, I'll give that a shot and report back

Board footer