You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-26 17:04:57

takatarumc

[SOLVED] Nautilus 3.22.3 freezing when attempting file/directory copy

Nautilus / GNOME Files 3.22.3 freezes for up to 30 seconds when I try copying any file or directory.

This only happens when attempting to copy & paste, right-click -> Copy and Ctrl + C both exhibit this problem.
The file/directory can be any size, even a newly-created empty directory causes the same issue!

Pasting (either via right-click -> Paste or Ctrl + V) work fine without any delay/issues,
'Copy To...' and 'Move To...', drag + drop'ing the file/directory also all work fine without any issues

I've tried reinstalling Nautilus and clearing everything in ~/.cache (via BleachBit), problem still exists

I've recently moved from a 500 GB hard drive (WD Blue, 5200 RPM SATA III) to a 120 GB SSD (also SATA III),
I had to resize the partition (it was already below 120 GB anyway) and move it over to the SSD via Clonezilla,
and then reinstall GRUB2, update /etc/fstab and such one big change was that I removed the swap partition
from both the SSD & /etc/fstab, could this somehow cause this issue?

This doesn't prevent me from copying but having to wait 30 seconds after selecting a small file
is really infuriating. I could literally open a terminal and use $ cp and it would still be faster!

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance! (Apologies if my English is sub-par)

Extra Info:
Kernel: 4.10.5-1-ARCH
Relevant (?) package versions:
GNOME:
       local/gnome-desktop 1:3.22.2-1
       local/gnome-shell 3.22.3-2 (gnome)
Nautilus:
         local/nautilus 3.22.3-1 (gnome)
         local/nautilus-sendto 3.8.4+33+g5ecfd0e-1 (gnome-extra)
         local/libnautilus-extension 3.22.3-1

Edit: Solved by reinstalling everything and starting fresh... never thought I'd have to do this on linux

Last edited by takatarumc (2017-03-29 02:59:26)

#2 2017-07-08 19:54:14

allejok

Re: [SOLVED] Nautilus 3.22.3 freezing when attempting file/directory copy

I know this is old and solved, but...

I had the same problem for a long time. It was caused by kdeconnect.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/897358/ … g-transfer

Solved by deactivating the "share files" module.

#3 2017-08-07 03:33:32

ClaudioP

Re: [SOLVED] Nautilus 3.22.3 freezing when attempting file/directory copy

Can confirm. Had the same issue for several months.
I assumed my setup was to blame (crypto et all), but once I saw this, "could it be?"
Indeed it looks to be solved wink

Just in case I left this information in here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GN … _operation
Does it look alright?

Ahh... stuff

Board footer