You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-26 21:31:58

inyuki

Thinkpad T440 Disable Touchpad Touch, but Leave Buttons Enabled

Hello all, using Arch with xfce4 on Thinkpad T440 here, and the laptop has touchpad integrated with mouse buttons. I prefer to use trackpoint, so I want to disable touchpad, but preserve touchpad buttons, cause, if I disable the touchpad entirely on system, then I cannot use buttons either, which leaves me with the ability to move mouse around, but no ability to click anything.

I wonder, is there a way to selectively only disable the touchpad capacitative touch, while preserving the button click functions on the touchpad? What would you recommend? Thanks!

Last edited by inyuki (2017-04-19 07:55:39)

#2 2017-04-19 05:04:22

inyuki

Re: Thinkpad T440 Disable Touchpad Touch, but Leave Buttons Enabled

Same problem: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … 175493698/ ( This is said to define the whole trackpad as an "exclusion zone", leaving the ability to press-click the pad as a mouse button, corners included, without the cursor wiggling all over and leaves you the red stick for navigation... )

$ synclient AreaBottomEdge=100

Solved the problem, but introduced a new one: installing synclient made the middle mouse button scrolling emulation stop working. Rolling back, and looking how can we define the "exclusion zones" with libinput. Reference to example of defining exclusion zone in libinput: http://wayland-devel.freedesktop.narkiv … -detection.

Last edited by inyuki (2017-04-19 07:54:47)

#3 2017-04-19 09:18:17

inyuki

Re: Thinkpad T440 Disable Touchpad Touch, but Leave Buttons Enabled

Response from Hans de Goede ( to question how to make the entire TouchPad an exclusion zone ):

> You can simply disable the touchpad entirely (at the libinput level,
> using libinput_device_config_send_events_set_mode) most libinput
> using desktop-environments will offer some sort of UI for this.

> libinput is smart enough to still use it for button presses
> for the pointing stick in this case.

> Please send future libinput questions to the wayland-devel.

Last edited by inyuki (2017-04-19 09:41:52)

Board footer