You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-29 17:55:33

rockytriton

vmware player package

When I search AUR for vmplayer, the vwmare-workstation package comes up.  So I installed that but it seems to only have the pro version which requires a license.  Is there a package for the player as well or do I need to install that manually from the vmware site?

#2 2017-03-29 18:52:27

TheChickenMan

Re: vmware player package

That is a seriously complicated looking package build. It's new too I guess. I am pretty sure that the installation of workstation also installs player. Does this work and allow you to use player without a license? You can also get an evaluation of workstation from vmware which will give you a license key to use.

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

#3 2017-03-29 18:56:21

rockytriton

yeah i checked the build file and it does reference vmplayer but it's not installed after the install process, only the pro version is there.  I can run pro version without key but it only has a 14 day trial.

#4 2017-03-29 19:02:12

TheChickenMan

rockytriton wrote:

yeah i checked the build file and it does reference vmplayer but it's not installed after the install process, only the pro version is there.  I can run pro version without key but it only has a 14 day trial.

Well that package in the AUR now is very new and I don't see another for the player only either (yet). If that package doesn't work for just player then you probably need to get the version from the vmware website and install it manually still. Their installer script is pretty decent and up until recently that was the only way to install workstation too.

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

#5 2017-03-29 19:29:47

rockytriton

FYI, i was able to it vmplayer working.  Had to uninstall the AUR vmware-workstation package first.  Then installed the AUR vmware-systemd-services package then just downloaded vmware player from the vmware website and ran through the installer.  The installer was updated yesterday (march 28th) so it seems to be working properly now.

Board footer