You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-01 19:11:32

MechaLynx

Looking for information on archiso kernel version decision

During March, the archiso release used kernel 4.11 (the mainline). That made it a bit of a pain to use things like the virtualbox guest modules while on the live distro as the package explicitly needs version <4.11 (there's a mainline package for those but is outdated and mismatching virtualbox host and guest versions is a bad idea). I noticed that the April release reverted to the regular Arch kernel version (4.10.6 as of this writing).

I'm happy about this but I was curious to see what the reasoning or discussion was behind the decision to go mainline during March and return to 4.10 in April. I took a look at the arch-releng archives but didn't see anything related to this specific change, nor did I find anything on the forums (although advanced search didn't work). To be honest, I have no idea where to look for the background on this, hence this post.

A bit off-topic (but not worth a separate thread): where does one post to suggest package inclusions for the archiso release? I'd like to make a case for a few packages.

Thanks.

edit - ugh, I picked a bad day to make this post. No, this post is not an April fools joke, despite the date.

Last edited by MechaLynx (2017-04-03 20:40:47)

Board footer