You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-06 10:13:01

Torxed

[Solved] rsynced mirror - best practices regarding pool/*.xz packages?

So I've followed these:
* https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … NewMirrors
* https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Local_Mirror

I've got the repo with a matching `//archlinux/$repo/os/$arch` structure.
However as obvious as the solution might be to symlink in everything from `./pool`..

Is there a best practice for how you finalize your repo?
Do you sort out the packages in `core.db.tar.gz` and only link in those some how under `//archlinux/$repo/os/$arch` or do you let them live under `./pool`?
Or do you symlink in everything?
Do you move actual packages from pool to where they should "live"?

Seeing as updates might get synced in the future, it would be nice to know how (generally speaking) most of the community solves archiving old packages etc.
I know some repos keep them for a few weeks before cleaning them up - Do they move in a bunch of files and run `clean_older.sh "30days"` or what's the recommended approach?

Philosophical questions:
Why are the packages not sorted under the proper folder already?
Or why is the `core.db.tar.gz` not a relevant path back to pool?

Edit: Just realized that this would **maybe** have been better off under "System Administration", just thought this is a pacman issue for me since pacman can't use the synced repo "as is" because all the files live under pool after a sync is complete, and pacman expects the packages to live under `/$repo/os/$arch` - unless i manually recreate `$repo.db.tar.gz` each and every sync.

Last edited by Torxed (2017-04-06 12:48:09)

#2 2017-04-06 11:35:40

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [Solved] rsynced mirror - best practices regarding pool/*.xz packages?

I don't understand your issue, if you've rsynced your mirror correctly then it's ready to use - all the symlinks should already be correct.

Also if running a mirror there is no need to keep old packages hanging around, every time you sync it the dbs no longer contain any references to old packages.
If a user needs old packages then they should get them from the Arch Linux Archive.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-04-06 12:47:58

Torxed

This explains my confusion, I do not have the ability to create symlinks - which explains the lack of "ready to use" after a sync.
I'll figure something out, at least now I know that this is the norm of how a repo is setup.

Cheers!

#4 2017-04-06 12:51:46

Torxed

Quick question (if anyone reads this after i marked it as solved):

Why are the packages not moved to `/extra` or `/core` instead of heaping up under `/pool`?
If you would like to run this on a windows host for instance? Or another system lacking symlink support.

Board footer