You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-21 10:35:51

danst0

ArchHosting

Hi,

I just stumbled across this idea in the wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … blog_host.

It's about setting up a server to provide weblogs, shell accounts, email services, etc for arch users.

Weblogs could provide space for thoughts on arch, linux and everything else.
The email service could provide an adfree webmail and pop3, imap accounts @users.archlinux.org (or similar...).
The shell accounts could be (prob. restricted) used for compiling larger packages...

Why?
I think this would be a great idea for several reasons:

Increasing identification with arch
Increasing popularity of arch and last but not least
Cheap or free email and blogspace for arch users

So I just wanted to know who would be interested in such a server and in which services?
Other suggestions are very welcome as well (Jabber, Asterisk server, ...)
If you think this is a good/bad idea feel free to add your comment here or in the wiki!

Daniel

#2 2006-06-21 11:26:49

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: ArchHosting

Great idea and whatnot....

but before this thread goes anywhere and anyone gets excited.

who's going to foot the bill?

#3 2006-06-21 11:34:24

kth5
Website

Actually I've been doing that for quite some now. For a couple of friends I host full v/d-servers or just regular webspace like applications. It turned out to be quite nice for them mostly.

For all the users I host v/d-servers for, Arch has become the defacto only choice for them. Most of them were Debian or SuSE users and where more or less satisfied with them until their machines where cracked and websites got defaced. Never happened with Arch, even though we dun have a security task force and crackers do not halt for arch boxes. smile

You're talking about something a bit different though. As far as I got it you want make it possibel for every Arch user to have some sort of account on a central serverfarm running off Arch? Nice idea but what's the point? Is it not regular hosting in a sense?

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#4 2006-06-21 11:56:48

danst0

Cost: As long as there are enough people willing to pay a little (e.g. 5 EUR or less a month) I think it will be sufficient for renting a root (or virtual) server.
Cheap servers start at 15-20 EUR pm.

Services offered:
This thread is also meant to discuss which services are wanted by the community.
I think it should not be to difficult to offer both full shell access for people who are willing to pay and just email blog for little or no money!
Advantage: cheaper for the shell-users, load averaging, ...

The idea behind is to provide it cheaper and arch related (Arch running @ archusers.org).

synopsis:
first few mb and email for free (depending on the demand).
rest for little money

Daniel

#5 2006-06-21 12:09:24

kth5
Website

danst0 wrote:

Cost: As long as there are enough people willing to pay a little (e.g. 5 EUR or less a month) I think it will be sufficient for renting a root (or virtual) server.
Cheap servers start at 15-20 EUR pm.

Just put some notes of what I usually "resell" on the wiki page. It's a bit more expensive than what you suggest but the servesr have a decent config and a good amount of traffic included. I would not suggest to rent v-servers. Instead a good dserver machine and creating a vserver-per-service like architecture on it is the way to go I think. That makes it possible to move services in whole to another server of perfomance starts to impact the user experience.

danst0 wrote:

Services offered:
This thread is also meant to discuss which services are wanted by the community.
I think it should not be to difficult to offer both full shell access for people who are willing to pay and just email blog for little or no money!
Advantage: cheaper for the shell-users, load averaging, ...

The idea behind is to provide it cheaper and arch related (Arch running @ archusers.org).

synopsis:
first few mb and email for free (depending on the demand).
rest for little money

Daniel

Shell user should not only pay a little more but also have to be trusted. Giving away shell accounts to just about anyone is more than just dangerous! big_smile

One idea for a service could be hosting for personal arch repos including a global indexing feature. Much like Crux has for its different ports trees.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#6 2006-06-21 14:37:06

codemac
Website

The more people the better.

I'm pretty much for sure in.  This is the brain child of xterminus and I, so you can ask us directly if you have any questions.

#7 2006-06-21 15:56:23

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Just get a dreamhost account and a domain name..you can easily create subusers and subdomains with ftp access and webspace. You can set bandwidth and filesystem quotas, as well as set up a database or three for them.

If all you are looking to provide is email, blogspace, and a jabber account, that could be an easy/cheap solution.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2006-06-21 17:04:53

ScriptDevil

i'll take it

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#9 2006-06-21 17:48:56

jerem

I'm actually quite happy with my Arch box serving webpages and providing ftp accounts thanks to a free dynamic dns resolution provider(you surely know of dyndns and no-ip)

The connection is not that fast but is enough for me...

So I personnally don't see the point in spending money on such a project.

#10 2006-06-21 20:38:01

syamajala
Website

got a mac mini that does this stuff and i use the language of my choice. lisp!

#11 2006-06-22 00:23:57

jaboua

I think it would be neat - especially if it could be a place for private pacman repo's too like someone mentioned.

#12 2006-06-22 01:30:06

codemac
Website

The idea is to have _better_ than dreamhost at under dreamhost pricing.

Dunno if it is possible, but that's the plan.

#13 2006-06-22 04:29:51

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

well...good luck with that.
roll

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#14 2006-06-22 06:54:41

kth5
Website

ready yourselves for thousands of silly 75c support questions. smile

Board footer