You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-12 05:07:09

celph

ACPI error on boot

Since recent kernel versions (I think it started around 4.7, I cannot remember, and haven't had time to fix the problem until now), I've been getting AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT messages on boot, reading "Index ... is beyond package length". Since then, my laptop's been running hot and the fan has been locked on max. It won't suspend when I close it, however I can still suspend manually from the shell and from there it will wake normally when opened. It has destroyed the life of my already-aging battery. I've made do by keeping it plugged in at all times, but <45 minutes of continuous use unplugged is not ideal.

Running mkinitcpio, I seem to be missing some firmware. I'm not sure which of these could be responsible for the problem, if any.

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: cxgb4
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qat_dh895xcc
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: advansys
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla2xxx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: csiostor
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: isci
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: bfa
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qed
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla1280
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: cxgb4
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: cxgb3
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: ums_eneub6250
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qat_dh895xcc

I've got a 2013 ASUS K46CM laptop. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about this (an old kernel module version I could use?)

Last edited by celph (2017-04-12 15:14:32)

#2 2017-04-12 12:51:22

olive

Re: ACPI error on boot

I don't know for the acpi error but most of the missing firmwares are part of "linux-firmware", which is a dependency of "linux" (the kernel). So there is something wrong with your installation. Are you using the official kernel provided by archlinux? Have you updated your system fully? Is the package database not corrupted (run pacman -Dk).

Last edited by olive (2017-04-12 12:52:22)

#3 2017-04-12 14:40:48

celph

Thank you! I had been using Parabola and suspected it might be the problem, so migrated back to Arch last night, however the problem persisted. linux-libre-firmware had been satisfying the linux-firmware dependency so I didn't notice it when I switched back. I have now made sure to replace all Parabola packages with Arch packages and reran mkinitcpio, generated new grub config for good measure, however I am still getting two warnings from mkinitcpio:

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x

I am also still getting the same ACPI error on boot, still running hot, and still have to suspend manually.

Last edited by celph (2017-04-12 14:41:33)

#4 2017-04-12 15:12:23

Slithery
Administrator

Those warnings are just that, warnings. Everyone who runs Arch that doesn't have those specific disk controllers in their system gets them (you would definitely know if you had these expensive, enterprise grade controllers).

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2017-04-12 15:47:54

olive

Well normally you are not supposed to post to these forums if you do not run ArchLinux (Parabola is not ArchLinux). Parabola is the kind of derivative that will remove any file that are not "free" whatever the consequence. But you have switched to arch (although a clean install would be safer). The two aic94xx and wd719x are normal. I think it is related to uncommon hardware where you have to find the firmware yourself (some component require non redistribuable firmware, the trick is often to provide a script that extract it from an available Windows driver).

For the ACPI error, you say you didn't have those on a diffrent kernel. Have you tried the linux-lts kernel?

#6 2017-04-12 16:07:45

celph

Yes, I would not be posting to this forum if I were still using Parabola. It had worked fine for me in the past, but I suspected the adherence to removing nonfree firmware even if no alternative is available might have been the cause of the problem. It may not be, but at this point there are no longer any Parabola packages installed.

I have tried using linux-lts but the same error occurs. I'm contemplating a fresh install, but I would need to wait to do that for a while.

EDIT: If it helps, the most recent kernel version I remember definitely working is 4.5

Last edited by celph (2017-04-12 19:43:44)

Board footer