You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-22 00:48:45

Borosai

OpenBox3 rc.xml Documentation

I just installed OB3 for the first time and was looking for any documentation that I could find, especially for the rc.xml file. I'm reading through it, and I have no idea what <policy> options are available under <placement>. I am running a dual-head setup, and the window placement isn't working all that well.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2006-06-22 08:02:06

jaboua

Re: OpenBox3 rc.xml Documentation

I think it's how new windows get placed. Smart tries to avoid placing new windows over existing ones if there's enough space to place the window beside the other apps. I dunno what other options are available though

#3 2006-06-22 16:33:54

Borosai

Yes sir, that's exactly what I'm referring to. As it is right now, if I am browsing with Firefox on one monitor, and open a new window, it sends it to the other monitor (unless there is something there already). The thing is I don't want that...I want to keep all windows for each application on the monitor that I decide, and let them overlap. So all Firefox windows on one monitor, unless I move them, and have OB remember where it was open last. I don't know, maybe that's not possible.

If only I could find the options available. Thanks for your reply though.

#4 2006-06-22 17:17:13

twiistedkaos

Borosai wrote:

Yes sir, that's exactly what I'm referring to. As it is right now, if I am browsing with Firefox on one monitor, and open a new window, it sends it to the other monitor (unless there is something there already). The thing is I don't want that...I want to keep all windows for each application on the monitor that I decide, and let them overlap. So all Firefox windows on one monitor, unless I move them, and have OB remember where it was open last. I don't know, maybe that's not possible.

If only I could find the options available. Thanks for your reply though.

You could probably use devilspie to force all firefox windows to stay in workspace 1, but I'm no pro with devilspie, so you may want to check the documentation on it smile

#5 2006-06-22 18:43:11

jaboua

OK, I found one other possibility (thanks google!)...

<placement>
  <policy>UnderMouse</policy>
</placement>

That will make new windows appear under the mouse - at least it should appear on the right monitor.

#6 2006-06-22 21:46:37

postlogic
Website

jaboua wrote:

OK, I found one other possibility (thanks google!)...

<placement>
  <policy>UnderMouse</policy>
</placement>

That will make new windows appear under the mouse - at least it should appear on the right monitor.

For the future, you can always join #openbox @ irc.oftc.net if you have any questions :-)

Board footer