You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-22 11:24:45

badger

Pacman & the missing mkinitcpio hook

Hi all,

A pretty general question, but do people find files missing that should have been installed?

I had just upgraded the current testing versions of mkinitcpio (0.4.2-1) and cryptsetup (1.0.3-2). One of the main differences in the upgrade is the movement of the mkinitcpio encrypt hook from the mkinitcpio package to the cryptsetup package. But the outcome of the upgrade left me without a encrypt hook, and I was left wondering where the encrypt hook had disappeared to...in some way a concern of dtw in this thread [split] fbsplash & mkinitcpio became concrete. I had read that thread a month ago, it wasn't upmost in my mind when trying to figure out where the encrypt hook had gone- remember that the most recent testing cryptsetup claimed it was installed, I was going to start on a thread on the missing hook.

So, anyway, if I upgraded mkinitcpio and cryptsetup during the same pacman session could things be loused up? I don't recall doing a force, but was it all down to operator error?

cheers

#2 2006-06-22 14:37:06

brain0
Developer

Re: Pacman & the missing mkinitcpio hook

Maybe, just reinstall cryptsetup.

#3 2006-06-22 15:37:23

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

badger wrote:

So, anyway, if I upgraded mkinitcpio and cryptsetup during the same pacman session could things be loused up? I don't recall doing a force, but was it all down to operator error?

If this does happen, it's a pacman bug.  It has nothing to do with the original concern of separating the hooks into their requisite packages.  I have not encountered this, but I will look into it if I have the time.

#4 2006-06-22 17:09:49

test1000

This has happened to me aswell. I've posted a bug report here: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4821 and later discovered that another package didn't install all it's files or uncorrectly aswell.

Do you use xfs?

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#5 2006-06-23 01:01:10

badger

brain0: I did reinstall cryptsetup once I realised that's where the encrypt hook is now, so that's fine. It was a comment by you in the new initramfs, testers welcome thread that helped- I didn't see any note when installing mkinitcpio 0.4.2-1.

I'm not saying it was because of the move of the hook from one package to another, just that I spent some time wondering what had gone wrong in the packaging of the 0.4.2 version of mkinitcpio (when nothing actually had)- more a cognitive issue than technical!

Nope, no XFS here! Thanks for the bug report link, I was in the dark about that past pacman bug, and I'll look out for anything more.

Thanks all.

Board footer