You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-22 12:34:56

o2bfishn

pacman does not seem to be in sync with ftp.archlinux.org

for starters, in /etc/pacman.d all my files for repos point to ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/, that includes current, extra, and community

opera 9 is in extra and opera 8.52 is in current on this ftp site and there is no opera papckage in community

when i do "pacman -Sy opera" it wants to install opera 8.54. i have cleaned out all packages with -Scc so there is nothing in /var/cache/pacman/pkg

where is 8.54 coming from and why isnt pacman trying to install opera 9?

yes, i can download the package from extra and use -A to install it but shouldnt pacman be doing that for me? also if i change repos i get some updates that i dont get from ftp.archlinux.org including opera 9. shouldnt that one be more up to date than the others?

#2 2006-06-22 13:20:04

mouse256

Re: pacman does not seem to be in sync with ftp.archlinux.org

pacman always chooses the version from the topmost entry in pacman.conf, so I suppose you have current listed in pacman.conf before extra, so that's why he preferres current.
You can solve it by either installing explitely from extra:
pacman -S extra/opera
or putting the extra entry before current in pacman.conf

#3 2006-06-22 16:42:50

o2bfishn

Re: pacman does not seem to be in sync with ftp.archlinux.org

i think pacman goes to what ever server you have listed first in pacman.conf if you list the server there. if you use local files (which is the default way for pacman) then it uses the first server listed in that file regardless of how it is listed in pacman.conf (i think, it might still go to current first then extra)

but...i changed repos in current, extra, and community to point to the same server (ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu), did a pacman -Sy and then pacman -S opera and got the 9.0 version from extra. i did not change the order in pacman.conf and that server also has 8.52 in current.

so back to my original question, when using ftp.archlinux.org and trying to get something from extra, it was only pulling from current, but not really since it was wanting to install a version that i could not find on the server anywhere???

Board footer