You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-18 01:01:29

john27dom

[SOLVED]Removed lib32-gcc-libs and gcc-libs-multilib nothing works

Hello guys,

I already looked in google, here in the forum and I did not find someone with the same problem as mine.

I was facing some problems when I was trying to install some packages (ex: screenshotgun) whenever the terminal arrived on the line:

"Check for working C compiler: / usr / bin / cc"
The computer crashed completely. And I had to restart it.
Due to this, I decided to reinstall everything that was related to it, to try to solve the problem of crash, however I created another problem:

After using the following commands on the terminal, several programs have stopped working:

[john@dell ~]$ sudo pacman -Rdd lib32-gcc-libs

Packages (1) lib32-gcc-libs-6.3.1-2 

Total Removed Size:  49,85 MiB 

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y 
:: Processing package changes... 
(1/1) removing lib32-gcc-libs                                                   [##############################################] 100% 
:: Running post-transaction hooks... 
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate... 
[john@dell ~]$ sudo pacman -Rdd lib32-gcc-libs 
error: target not found: lib32-gcc-libs 
[john@dell ~]$ sudo pacman -Rdd gcc-libs-multilib 

Packages (1) gcc-libs-multilib-6.3.1-2 

Total Removed Size:  78,44 MiB 

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y 
:: Running pre-transaction hooks... 
(1/1) Removing old entries from the info directory file... 
:: Processing package changes... 
(1/1) removing gcc-libs-multilib                                                [##############################################] 100% 
:: Running post-transaction hooks... 
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate... 

[john@dell ~]$ pacman
pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there a solution to this problem?

I tried reinstalling using octopi, pacman and yaourt none of them works, it always gives this error sad

Last edited by john27dom (2017-04-18 18:30:05)

#2 2017-04-18 01:35:18

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Removed lib32-gcc-libs and gcc-libs-multilib nothing works

You can manually unpack the gcc-libs package. Why would you use Rdd though ,it's pretty much guaranteed to cause breakage as you've experienced. Remove ignoring dependency checks... recipe for trouble.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2017-04-18 01:36:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Boot into a live usb, mount your partitions, and use pacman with the --root flag to reinstall the gcc-libs package(s).

EDIT: this was cross posted with the above which might be an easier approach, but after that you'd still want to reinstall the packages with pacman again.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2017-04-18 01:44:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Trilby wrote:

you'd still want to reinstall the packages with pacman again.

Ah yes I forgot that, thanks Trilby.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2017-04-18 04:41:34

alaskanarcher

For future reference, I think you instead should have used

# pacman -Rs

From the pacman man page,

REMOVE OPTIONS
       -s, --recursive
           Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that
           (A) they are not required by other packages; and (B) they were not explicitly
           installed by the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards
           --sync operation, and it helps keep a clean system without orphans. If you want
           to omit condition (B), pass this option twice.

You also may have first tried simply reinstalling the package and its dependencies instead of trying to remove first. Unless you require that the pre and post install scripts are run, simply reinstalling is sufficient. And if you need something to be run from an install script, you can just check out the package's .install file and run the commands manually as root.

Last edited by alaskanarcher (2017-04-18 04:43:56)

#6 2017-04-18 10:31:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No, -s would not have been relevant.  That would remove dependencies of gcc-libs - what purpose would that serve.

If the OP actually needed to remove gcc-libs (which itself makes no sense at all) then -dd was the right flag as pacman would not otherwise let him remove such a critical system component (which should have been a hint).

There is no point on speculating on what package transactions might have solved the original problem as 1) package transactions are most likely *not* the right way to solve the problem, but more importantly 2) we haven't the foggiest idea what the original problem was.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2017-04-18 15:45:36

john27dom

Trilby wrote:

Boot into a live usb, mount your partitions, and use pacman with the --root flag to reinstall the gcc-libs package(s).

Thanks for help.

What do I do to direct the installation to another partition?

I started Linux on my pendrive, but when I try to install the packages again, pacman says it is already installed (from what I understand it is reading the packages from the pendrive, not from the partition).

#8 2017-04-18 16:08:28

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

You can use pacstrap as you did during the install process, or you can use pacman's --root flag. See 'man pacman' regarding the latter.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#9 2017-04-18 16:57:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Trilby wrote:

use pacman with the --root flag

#10 2017-04-18 17:50:33

john27dom

problem solved:

After boot in usb, in terminal , i used:

sudo pacman --root /partitionwithrootdamaged Sy
sudo pacman S- lib32-gcc-libs
sudo pacman S-  gcc-libs-multilib

Thanks for all .

#11 2017-04-18 18:06:14

olegabrielz

Then just edit your first post and [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title.

Last edited by olegabrielz (2017-04-18 18:07:07)

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#12 2017-04-18 18:23:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

For future reference, also please type carefully.  I can infer your actual meaning from your last post, but those are most certainly not the actual commands you used.  You should also update your system completely now to avoid potential serious problems from the partial upgrade you have just done.  You should really just never use "-Sy" flags for pacman without also include a "u" (there are a few very rare exceptions, but in these cases you will be given explicit instructions to do so in a news item).

Board footer