You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-20 23:15:48

hashhar
Website

[SOLVED] Emulator scene on ArchLinux?

I have a lot of ROMs from the original NES and want to be able to play them again. On Windows I used to use Nester https://sourceforge.net/projects/nester-emu/ as the emulator.

I have looked at the situation for Linux and two have caught my eye FCEUX and higan.

I just wanted to get some idea about them from people who've used these and any issues or features to look out for.

Last edited by hashhar (2017-04-21 16:58:28)

#2 2017-04-21 09:53:12

Modeler

Re: [SOLVED] Emulator scene on ArchLinux?

Use RetroArch, it's in the community repo. If you've never heard of the Libretro API, I seriously suggest you check it out.

Many NES emulators have been ported to Libretro, including NEStopia, which is generally regarded as the best. fceumm is good too.

Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster"

#3 2017-04-21 11:06:23

hashhar
Website

Modeler wrote:

Use RetroArch, it's in the community repo. If you've never heard of the Libretro API, I seriously suggest you check it out.

Many NES emulators have been ported to Libretro, including NEStopia, which is generally regarded as the best. fceumm is good too.

I tried out higan in the meantime since it emulates quite a lot of systems. It's kinda basic and okay for what I need. But I'll definitely take a look at RetroArch. It looks really cool though.

Thanks. But from the website I wasn't able to get an idea of what systems it emulates? Is it limited to the NES and SNES?

#4 2017-04-21 11:14:40

Modeler

hashhar wrote:

Thanks. But from the website I wasn't able to get an idea of what systems it emulates? Is it limited to the NES and SNES?

Heck no. RetroArch isn't itself an emulator, it just hosts Libretro builds of well-known emulators as plug-ins or "cores" as they're known. Have a look at the buildbot to see how many are available:

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/l … 64/latest/

There's even a port of MAME, which itself does a decent job of emulating most consoles, even the obscure ones.

Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster"

#5 2017-04-21 11:15:13

V1del
Forum Moderator

RetroArch is a framework for emulator cores. It isn't limited to anything and nearly all noteworthy emulators have been ported to it. You can get everything from N64, SNES, NES, PSX. Basically if a system has an open source emulator available, chances are that it has a libretro compatible implementation. A small selection of the most common cores has been included in the repos: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sor … =&flagged= there are many more than just these.

Last edited by V1del (2017-04-21 11:16:02)

#6 2017-04-21 16:58:13

hashhar
Website

Excellent. Tried out the SNES9 one and it is great. Thanks. Marking SOLVED.

Board footer