You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-22 16:13:20

ederc

[SOLVED] Keyboard no longer recognised at login prompt

Dear all,

since this morning I have a running system with systemd boot, systemd tty login, and dwm. I decided to switch from laptop-mode-tools and try tlp, thus I uninstalled laptop-mode-tools and pacman told me, also pm-utils should be removed. Everything done, tlp installed and service started. I rebooted the system and now I can no longer type in my username and password at the login. The system is encrypted, I can type in my encryption key without any problem, then everything seems to load as usual, but when I am at the login prompt, only the cursor blinks, but I cannot type. The only key that seems to be recognized is the power button with which I can then shutdown. When shutting down, I see how everything is unloaded and at the very end, before the screen shuts down, I see what I have typed in when I was at the login prompt. Since I can type my encryption key it seems that something in systemd's boot or login is corrupted, but I have not touched anything.

I already logged in via a Live Arch System on USB and tried to remove tlp again, nothing. I reinstalled also laptop-mode-tools and pm-utils, nothing. I have not touched anything else in my setup.

If someone has an idea of what I could try to fix this problem I would highly appreciate it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am on a Macbook Pro (11,1) and I am talking about the keyboard of my laptop. Sadly I do not have access to an external keyboard at the moment.

Last edited by ederc (2017-04-23 15:46:57)

#2 2017-04-23 09:16:17

fdservices

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard no longer recognised at login prompt

#3 2017-04-23 15:46:32

ederc

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard no longer recognised at login prompt

The problem is/was that neither dmesg nor xjournalctl -xb showed any error. Also regenerating initramfs was done without any error or warning.
I got some USB external keyboard with which it is no problem to log in. After startx I can use my internal keyboard without any problem.

A first solution for the problem was to disable the powertop service. It seems that something went wrong with it when removing pm-utils. Having disable powertop.service I can log in again with my internal keyboard without a problem. When I find the time I will investigate a bit more where exactly the problem was coming from. Until then I mark this thread as solved.

Best,
Christian

Board footer