You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-24 14:01:20

Icarus_Radio

[SOLVED] Having difficulties configuring NVIDIA Optimus

I have just finished installing Arch Linux on my laptop few days ago and I am completely new to Arch.

My laptop has NVIDIA GeForce 960M and Intel HD Graphics 530. Therefore I would like to use Optimus.

Following the wiki page, I have already installed nvidia and xorg-xrandr packages. Now comes the confusing part -- I need to modify the xorg.conf file. However, every time I restart my laptop, this file will disappear. Also, I did not see any differences between pre-installation and post-installation(e.g. WM still use the low resolution).

Can anybody help me plz.

P.S. If you want to see any file, just tell me and I will show you ASAP.

Last edited by Icarus_Radio (2017-04-25 09:00:17)

#2 2017-04-24 15:15:24

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Having difficulties configuring NVIDIA Optimus

While it is strange that that file disappears (as far as I know that shouldn't happen but you aren't the first to mention this), recent changes to the architecture don't make it necessary to use it anymore. If you've setup the xrandr offloading lines, Nvidia should be used. Check the output of e.g.

glxinfo | grep OpenGL #Needs mesa-demos

Nvidia the active renderer.

Also be aware that with this setup (since you mentioned it in your other thread) suspend and hibernate will not work, since these can't reinitialize the GPU properly. If this is something you need, you might have to fall back to using the intel driver and e.g. Bumblebee to implement a per application switching behavior.

#3 2017-04-24 16:09:40

Icarus_Radio

V1del wrote:

While it is strange that that file disappears (as far as I know that shouldn't happen but you aren't the first to mention this), recent changes to the architecture don't make it necessary to use it anymore. If you've setup the xrandr offloading lines, Nvidia should be used. Check the output of e.g.

glxinfo | grep OpenGL #Needs mesa-demos

Nvidia the active renderer.

Also be aware that with this setup (since you mentioned it in your other thread) suspend and hibernate will not work, since these can't reinitialize the GPU properly. If this is something you need, you might have to fall back to using the intel driver and e.g. Bumblebee to implement a per application switching behavior.

The output of glxinfo is:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 378.13
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 378.13
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 378.13
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Also thanks for the reminder. I would like to handle this issue first and dig into the Bumblebee wiki when needed. smile

#4 2017-04-25 08:42:46

V1del
Forum Moderator

So as you see, everything works as intended. But as I have mentioned, if this laptop is supposed to be mobile and you only intend to use the Nvidia card selectively. You will have to setup bumblebee which replaces the two xrandr lines/the xorg configuration. This isn't a fixing this issue first kind of deal, this is choosing one option instead of the other depending on your needs and expectations.

#5 2017-04-25 09:00:03

Icarus_Radio

V1del wrote:

So as you see, everything works as intended. But as I have mentioned, if this laptop is supposed to be mobile and you only intend to use the Nvidia card selectively. You will have to setup bumblebee which replaces the two xrandr lines/the xorg configuration. This isn't a fixing this issue first kind of deal, this is choosing one option instead of the other depending on your needs and expectations.

So, XDM's not working and some other issues are not caused by NVIDIA Optimus. I will look around to see something else.

Thanks for your time and I will learn something more about bumblebee now. smile

Last edited by Icarus_Radio (2017-04-25 09:00:33)

Board footer