You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-25 13:38:03

atilaneves

Can't mount root partition at boot - unknown filesystem ext4

This is after a fresh install from the latest ISO, having deleted and created a new ext4 partition for the root filesystem. Having searched through the forums I found some similar problems, but none of the solutions seem to apply to me.

I had my ESP mounted at /mnt/boot when I ran genfstab and the boot partition is there, so it's not that.

My systemd-boot entry correctly identifies the root partition as /dev/sda5. The partition is fine, I can mount it with no problems from the live CD. I ran fsck on it anyway just to be on the safe side, and got no errors.

And yet at boot, from a fresh install, I get a message saying "waiting for /dev/sda5" for 10 seconds and after that time period it says it can't mount it and that ext4 is an unknown file system. This is the standard kernel from the install, I haven't changed anything.

Before I got to this error I had an error related to crc32c. I dutifully updated my mkinitcpio.conf to include the crc32c modules in MODULES, ran mkinitcpio and now I can't boot the root partition.

Out of desperation I even added ext4 to MODULES, just in case. Nothing changed.

Anything else I should check?

#2 2017-04-25 13:47:01

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Can't mount root partition at boot - unknown filesystem ext4

Start here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pe … ice_naming

Using the "/dev/sda5" naming is just asking for problems.

Board footer