You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-28 15:47:12

cawa-93

Pamac has removed dependencies of another package

I'm new to arch Linux and I do not fully understand what's going on.

Today I used a pamac to remove the deluge. During the removal, I gave the warning:

python2-twisted requires an optional component python2-pyopenssl: for TLS client host name verification
python2-twisted requires an optional component python2-idna: for TLS client host name verification
python2-twisted requires an optional component python2-cryptography: for using conch

And these packages was removed.

Why were they removed? Is this not dependent on the python2-twisted package? Package python2-twisted will work without these dependencies?

How do I delete a package in the future (deluge) and its dependencies, except those that affect the other packages?

#2 2017-04-28 16:10:50

Steef435
Website

Re: Pamac has removed dependencies of another package

Have a look at the REMOVE OPTIONS in the man page for pacman. (execute "man pacman" in a terminal)

The optional dependency lines you posted show what the optional dependencies are for. Without python2-pyopenssl, you can still use python2-twisted, but it won't be able to verify TLS client host names.

As to why they were removed, I can only guess. The Pamac developers probably chose to do some agressive recursive removal for removing packages.

Using a graphical package manager (or anything but pacman, really) is generally discouraged. Also, please note that Manjaro is not Arch Linux and that they have their own forums, in case you're using that. (Pamac is a Manjaro tool)

#3 2017-04-28 16:13:41

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2017-04-28 16:15:34

mpan
Website

cawa-93:
You have requested pacman to remove recursively all unneeded packages (-s or --recursive option to -R). These packages are not needed by any other package. They are optional dependencies and it’s fine to remove them. If you would need these packages, you would install them explicitly in the first place, not as dependencies, and pacman would never want to remove them.

The warning is placed there, because it is some rare circumstances it’s possible that the user:

• Is unaware that some optional function of software is available only by accident, because something else has installed the dependency.

• Has misconfigured their system somehow and installed something they want explicitly as a dependency.

It’s unwanted to remove them then.

If you are sure that you need these packages, install them explicitly. Then pacman will not try to remove them.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

Board footer