You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-25 05:07:17

bostoniman
Website

KDE lagging since updates

Since the updates that happened over the past couple of days, I have noticed a sudden lagging in KDE.  I'm not sure if it's KDE-related, or kernel-related, or perhaps xorg-related, since there were so many updates all at once.  Has anybody else experienced this problem, and if so, have you been able to fix it?

#2 2006-06-25 09:05:28

rpgcyco

Re: KDE lagging since updates

I am experiencing a slight slowdown problem since the upgrade as well, though I'm not sure if it's related to your problem.

I've noticed that programs are taking longer to start and also lag a bit. I am using XFCE-svn built by shadowhand, but I also experience this problem in GNOME. I do not have KDE installed, so I can't test that.

The worst part of the problem though, is games. They freeze for up to 10 seconds at a time, incredibly frequently.

I rolled back to kernel26-2.6.16.20-1 and nvidia-1.0.8762-1, which caused the problems to go away. If the games problem was the only problem, then I would point to the NVIDIA drivers, but since my system lags in the desktop environment as well, I suspect the kernel.

I remember a few months ago, I had a laggy system problem when ACPI patches from 2.6.17 were added to 2.6.16, which I made a bug report for. Now that we are using 2.6.17, perhaps this problem has returned for me.

Maybe you could roll back the kernel and see if that fixes it?

- Rpg Cyco

#3 2006-06-25 15:19:22

bostoniman
Website

Yeah, I may try that.  I suspected the kernel as well, since I had this problem once before with a custom kernel I built.  I'm just concerned that with the updates that took place it may be a hassle to roll back - things like mkinitcpio insteaad of mkinitrd and stuff like that.  I'll give it a shot, though.  Hopefully the bug gets resolved soon.

#4 2006-06-26 03:19:16

rpgcyco

Rolling back the kernel is possible, because mkinitrd should still be on the system. You'll just have to revert the changes made to menu.lst file. I.e: kernel26.img back to initrd26.img.

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26-2.6.16.20-1.pkg.tar.gz

kernel26.img and the other file from the 2.6.17 kernel will still be there (in /boot), but will obviously be ignored. I removed them.

You may also need to revert the graphics drivers, but I don't know what hardware you have, so can't be certain.

- Rpg Cyco

#5 2006-06-26 03:20:45

bostoniman
Website

Yeah, I didn't have any problems rolling it back, but I'm still sort of experiencing the problem, so I'm not sure what's up.

Board footer