You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-15 01:00:44

gitgit

Dualbooting arch and ubuntu

I'm not exactly sure if this is where this goes, however I just would like some advice.

I dualbooted two linux distros for the first time today. I've never successfully dualbooted any OS before, however today I needed to (installing Origin on arch linux was a nightmare, so I gave up and moved to Ubuntu where there is much more support/etc) dualboot Ubuntu and Arch.

I just want to make sure my partition tables are setup correctly. I've already tested, and the GRUB loader boots, and let's me boot into both Ubuntu and Arch successfully, HOWEVER when I boot into Arch linux I catch I glimpse of a mounting error. I can't tell you what exactly it says (I know it would be helpful) since it happens so quickly, but I can provide a screenshot of my 'lsblk' command output and see if you can see anything wrong -

http://i.imgur.com/JuBQpK2.png
I can tell you what a few of the partitions are;
sda1 - my root partition for archlinux
sda2 - my home partition for archlinux
sda3 - my swap partition for archlinux (not for ubuntu, and honestly I wish I hadn't even set up swap)
sda5 - the partition i chose to install Ubuntu on

I am unsure what sda4 is, however I'm assuming it's just leftover space I forgot to partition considering how small it is.

--  read the Code of Conduct and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code [jwr] --

Last edited by gitgit (2017-05-15 02:16:46)

#2 2017-05-15 01:12:49

oliver

Re: Dualbooting arch and ubuntu

cat /etc/fstab

#3 2017-05-15 01:12:54

ewaller
Administrator

Is this UEFI or MBR?  (It appears to be MBR)
Where is your boot partition?
On Arch, what is the output of mount   ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2017-05-15 01:23:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm guessing this is an MBR partitioned disk meaning sda4 is the extended partition and sda5 is a logical partition.

An MBR partitioned disk can only have up to 4 primary partitions - so generally, if one needs 4 or more, they make 3 primary, then the 4th extended which can hold a large number of logical partitions.  Many automatic partitioning scripts (like those in Ubuntu's installer) will detect if you are already using a few partitions and create the extended/logical partitions as needed.

Note that I've replaced your image with a link - please see our forum guidelines on image sizes and only post thumbnails or links.  And if it's just text, post text as text. (edit: I seem to have cross-edited it with JWR).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-05-15 01:34:44

gitgit

oliver wrote:
cat /etc/fstab

Output
Sorry, I just read the thing about thumbnails and I'm not sure how to do that.

ewaller wrote:

Is this UEFI or MBR?  (It appears to be MBR)
Where is your boot partition?
On Arch, what is the output of mount   ?

From my understanding, it's UEFI. It was UEFI when I had Windows 10 on there beforehand, and I haven't changed the BIOS.
Boot partition? Arch is installed under sda1-3, I don't remember which, if any, I set up to be the boot partition. I'm very new to this all, I apologize for not being able to answer your question more in depth... (if it helps, I followed this series EXACTLY to the par.

Trilby wrote:

I'm guessing this is an MBR partitioned disk meaning sda4 is the extended partition and sda5 is a logical partition.

An MBR partitioned disk can only have up to 4 primary partitions - so generally, if one needs 4 or more, they make 3 primary, then the 4th extended which can hold a large number of logical partitions.  Many automatic partitioning scripts (like those in Ubuntu's installer) will detect if you are already using a few partitions and create the extended/logical partitions as needed.

Despite what I said earlier, I installed GParted and Trilby is right, SDA4 is an extended partition, with SDA5 being an ext4 underneath of that (SDA5 being where I installed Ubuntu, as well).

I sincerely apologize for not being able to answer your questions more in depth, I simply am very new to archlinux in general, and partitioning (as usually installing ubuntu beforehand I just partitioned the entire drive).

Last edited by gitgit (2017-05-15 01:39:20)

#6 2017-05-15 01:37:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Read the Code of Conduct and stop posting oversized images http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2017-05-15 01:39:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

We just edited your first post to remove the image and informed you of our policy - then you immediately violate it again with another large image of text.  Do not keep this up.

As for your boot partition, you do not seem to have a separate boot, just a root partition.  And as for not understanding anything about your system, that is because you followed unsupported (quite possibly broken) youtube guides.

Hell, that video even flags itself "OUTDATED".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2017-05-15 01:41:37

gitgit

Trilby wrote:

We just edited your first post to remove the image and informed you of our policy - then you immediately violate it again with another large image of text.  Do not keep this up.

As for your boot partition, you do not seem to have a separate boot, just a root partition.  And as for not understanding anything about your system, that is because you followed unsupported (quite possibly broken) youtube guides.

I apologize, you must have edited my post while I was still writing my response. As soon as I read it I changed it.

I do not think the tutorial was broken, arch linux worked fine beforehand. I never had any problems booting, or anything of the sort. I still don't really have a problem booting, nothing happens, I just see that error for a split second and managed to catch something about mounting and wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

The video was not flagged *OUTDATED* when I installed arch.

Last edited by gitgit (2017-05-15 01:42:04)

#9 2017-05-15 01:52:26

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Did you run that "cat /etc/fstab" from Arch or Ubuntu? We need to see it from the system where you see the mount error.

We would also like to see the output of the "mount" command when you are running Arch. Don't post screenshots -- post the text in [ code ] tags.

#10 2017-05-15 01:58:00

gitgit

2ManyDogs wrote:

Did you run that "cat /etc/fstab" from Arch or Ubuntu? We need to see it from the system where you see the mount error.

We would also like to see the output of the "mount" command when you are running Arch. Don't post screenshots -- post the text in [ code ] tags.

That would make sense, doing the commands on the OS that's committing the errors.. *palmface*.

Anyway, the output of
cat /etc/fstab - ON ARCH

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>	<dir>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
# /dev/sda1
UUID=363f1e4b-fe06-4c49-9b17-1ea1a103376b	/         	ext4      	rw,relatime,data=ordered	0 1

# /dev/sda2
UUID=7d7ef961-7906-44c3-ae91-7c54a95063be	/home     	ext4      	rw,relatime,data=ordered	0 2

# /dev/sda3
UUID=81326bf7-b241-447c-98d2-5fa39dda1300	none      	swap      	defaults  	0 0

And that of mount;

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=6125160k,nr_inodes=1531290,mode=755)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=27,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda2 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1225940k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

As well, I caught a bigger glimpse of the error and it said something about my root partition not being mounted, or setup for mounting or something along those lines.

#11 2017-05-15 06:45:00

tom.ty89

You can do:

systemctl disable getty@tty1

Then when you reboot, the boot message will not be "replaced" by a login prompt (and you can alt+f2 to get one on tty2 manually), so you can scroll back (Shift+PageUp) to see what exactly it is.

EDIT: you can enable it again after you got what you want:

systemctl enable getty@tty1

It could be systemd warning you about fsck. If you have "rw" in your boot entry (not fstab), then you should not set last field of the "/" fstab entry to "1" but "0"; the fsck hook in the initramfs would be responsible for the fsck. If you set it to "1", then you should have "ro" in the the boot entry, and exclude the fsck hook from the initramfs.

Last edited by tom.ty89 (2017-05-15 06:48:22)

#12 2017-05-17 03:37:41

gitgit

tom.ty89 wrote:

You can do:

systemctl disable getty@tty1

Then when you reboot, the boot message will not be "replaced" by a login prompt (and you can alt+f2 to get one on tty2 manually), so you can scroll back (Shift+PageUp) to see what exactly it is.

EDIT: you can enable it again after you got what you want:

systemctl enable getty@tty1

It could be systemd warning you about fsck. If you have "rw" in your boot entry (not fstab), then you should not set last field of the "/" fstab entry to "1" but "0"; the fsck hook in the initramfs would be responsible for the fsck. If you set it to "1", then you should have "ro" in the the boot entry, and exclude the fsck hook from the initramfs.

I'm sorry it took so long, I was busy with work.
It seems you are correct (this is the warning, I know I'm supposed to post the code, NOT an image, however I could not copy the code since I couldn't use my mouse), as it's warning me about being read-writable.

#13 2017-05-17 10:15:21

tom.ty89

Well apparently you do NOT have "rw" in the kernel (linux) line of the boot entry (but "ro" or maybe neither). You may either add it and change passno to 0, or exclude the fsck hook from the initramfs, to avoid repeated fsck.

Board footer