You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-19 02:02:07

Salkay

Printing in greyscale from Gwenview?

When I print in Gwenview, I can select "Grayscale" instead of "Color" (see screenshot below). However, this doesn't do anything; images are always printed in colour. In contrast, I can print in greyscale in Firefox by selecting "Print Color as Gray" = "On" using its native print dialogue. Hence, I presume that there is an issue specific to the KDE Plasma print dialogue box. Is there a way to print in greyscale (monochrome) in Gwenview?

S2niCt.png

Everything is up-to-date.
Plasma 5.9.5-1
Firefox 53.0.2-1

Disclaimers: I've seen this thread, which I believes differs, because it's not a systemic CUPS issue, but just an Okular (and others?) vs. Firefox issue. I've also posted on the KDE forums and StackExchange with no responses.

#2 2017-05-29 10:19:40

Salkay

Re: Printing in greyscale from Gwenview?

I've just realised that Inkscape has a similar print dialogue box to Firefox, but not identical. I guess it's something to do with GTK? Anyway, selecting "Print Color as Gray" = "On" works for Inkscape too.

#3 2017-06-14 12:03:29

kanpio

I can confirm that the same happens for me. Okular has the same dialog window. No matter if I check color or grayscale, it always prints in color. This was messed up in a few kde/plasma releases ago. With old dialog window everything used to work fine. My printer is Brother DCP-J105.

#4 2017-06-14 12:40:58

V1del
Forum Moderator

And that dialog in turn is likely provided by Qt and this in turn will likely want to set some CUPS property which might be driver dependant and only work on specific models, hard to say where exactly the bug is here. HOWEVER, since you say you get a dialog in GTK applications where you can set a property (that looks like it's provided by the printer driver), if you click on "Properties" in this gwenview dialog, do you find that same "Print Color as Gray" and does setting it to "On" solve the issue in the same way?

#5 2017-06-15 03:24:48

Salkay

Thank you for the replies.

V1del wrote:

since you say you get a dialog in GTK applications where you can set a property (that looks like it's provided by the printer driver), if you click on "Properties" in this gwenview dialog, do you find that same "Print Color as Gray" and does setting it to "On" solve the issue in the same way?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything there. In both Gwenview and Okular, I looked at File > Print > Properties, but there were no colour options. I also looked at File > Properties but there was nothing there either.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but alternatively can one force QT applications to print via the GTK backend?

#6 2019-01-21 23:16:29

Salkay

Bumping my old thread. Okular still prints in colour when I tell it not too. This is still present in the latest version:

Plasma 5.14.5
Qt 4.8.7
Qt 5.12.0

Board footer