You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-26 01:50:18

rmrfwindows
Member
Registered: 2006-01-28
Posts: 17

Arch is mostly laptop friendly

[edit]

Sorry I made some people mad. I just got frustrated and over-reacted. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and by reading my post I noticed how it may have been a little derogatory.

The new beyond kernel works now except for suspend to ram which is ok.

Offline

#2 2006-06-26 05:47:43

tpowa
Developer
From: Lauingen , Germany
Registered: 2004-04-05
Posts: 2,261

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

for network manager, i can only say this, you need to write a arch backend for it, we use different initscripts then ubuntu that is the reason for not working.
If you say this is all not a big deal to get it working, feel free to add your success story to bugtracker that it can be added to the repositories.
CK and beyond are experimental kernels so stuff might get broken.

Offline

#3 2006-06-26 06:06:23

iphitus
Forum Fellow
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2004-10-09
Posts: 4,927

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

CK hasnt had had suspend2 for ages.

As for beyond, it'll be fixed in the new version which should hit archlinux.org later today. I dont have every piece of hardware in existance, so I simply cannot test everything. Bugs are inevitable. Yours is a corner case, it only affects a small range of CPUs.

However if you're wiling to buy me a core duo lappy to test... im fine by that.

Gnome network manager and power manager are in the AUR. They arent in community because nobody wants them. It's clear nobody wants them as there are no votes for them. But you're free to use them if you want.

I havnt seen bugs on bugs.archlinux.org about any of those issues, none of the beyond ones were reported there to me. I can't fix things I dont know about.

Report bugs and they get fixed. Dont complain when things dont work, because you did nothing to fix them.

Anyway, Arch is very laptop friendly, gnome power manager works fine here after taking it from the AUR, suspend2 works well, and so does speedstepping on this pentium M.

James

Offline

#4 2006-06-26 06:19:32

hugin
Member
Registered: 2006-05-19
Posts: 93

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

rmrfwindows wrote:

-Stock and CK kernels have no support for suspend to disk or ram (CK used to have suspend2: what happened?).

actually suspend in both forms are supported with the kernel26 package.  I'm using them.  It's just that my BIOS is shitty, and all of 1,000,000 things need to be perfect for my laptop to come out of S3.  I've found Arch to be quite friendly to my laptop despite my suspend problems, but i still blame Dell for that one.


/jhs


Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

Offline

#5 2006-06-26 17:18:34

phrakture
Arch Overlord
From: behind you
Registered: 2003-10-29
Posts: 7,879
Website

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

rmrfwindows wrote:

Tools aimed at mobile use don't exist in the repositories (networkmanager, gnome-power-manager) even though they are mostly stable.

the ABOUT page wrote:

Arch Linux is an i686-optimized linux distribution targeted at competent linux users (read: not afraid of the commandline)

What should I say? I've successfully used arch on a laptop for 2.5 years (give or take) and have never had a problem with "mobile tools".

Need a new AP? Try 'iwlist'.  Connect to it? 'iwconfig'.  cpu scaling? modprobe the right module and use cpufrequtils...

Offline

#6 2006-06-26 17:24:26

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
From: U.K.
Registered: 2003-12-21
Posts: 5,750

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

I love Arch on me Lappy  8)


Mr Green

Offline

#7 2006-06-26 21:07:20

arooaroo
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2005-01-13
Posts: 1,268
Website

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

Mr Green wrote:

I love Arch on me Lappy  8)

Amen to that!

Offline

#8 2006-06-26 23:17:41

nachete
Member
From: Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain
Registered: 2006-06-26
Posts: 12

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

Hello everyone! I'm new here and this is my first post.

I own a Pavilion DV1071 laptop, and Arch Linux runs perfectly on it. BTW, thanks Gandalf for his wiki article (and his xorg.conf, too) about this laptop ;-)

I've used several distros on this computer (FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Debian Testing and Gentoo), and I haven't found Arch laptop-unfriendly. Things won't work just 'out of the box' as on an Ubuntu system, but configuration is quite easy and Arch has an excellent documentation.

PS: English isn't my mother language, so please excuse me if I make too many mistakes big_smile

Offline

#9 2006-06-27 00:15:55

AllTom
Member
Registered: 2006-01-02
Posts: 60
Website

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

I've been using Arch on my Inspiron 9300 for a while now. It does take a lot of command-line work, but I've worked to this point with several computers and distributions, so it hasn't been a big deal.

Offline

#10 2006-06-27 06:41:46

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
From: U.K.
Registered: 2003-12-21
Posts: 5,750

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

Maybe try ubuntu drop in disc enter your name & password you are done

Dull!!!!!


Mr Green

Offline

#11 2006-06-27 09:22:18

danst0
Member
Registered: 2006-03-28
Posts: 12

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

for me suspend to ram and disk worked perfectly with beyond (i dont know about now since i am not using it)

it's probably more laptop related than arch related, perhaps you just have to tweak the conf files...

Offline

#12 2006-06-27 23:32:44

rmrfwindows
Member
Registered: 2006-01-28
Posts: 17

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

Sorry if I may have over-reacted. I was upset because I did in fact spend several days trying to get things to work and nothing I did worked -- thus I complained. Suspend to ram worked fine with kernel26-2.6.16.20 and when I updated it broke when I expected more to work.

I've been able to suspend to disk with the normal arch kernel, but nothing that I put into the kernel line would cause it to even try to resume which is why I thought it wasn't incorperated. From what it sounds like, it is in fact supported so if someone could tell me the correct kernel parameter that would be great.

Also, I didn't realize that I had to post elsewhere to get a bug recognized. I created a thread here about the speedstep problem and apparently others have too, so I'm not the only one. And you can't complain about it not being on the bugtracker if you can respond to this post 1 day after it was posted and you can't acknowledge another post about the bug.

About networkmanager, I got the pkgbuild from aur and it worked flawlessly which is why I thought it would be fairly simple to just add to community or whatever. I just thought that it should be added to the gnome stuff in the extra repository because it seems to be considered part of gnome now. Also, wireless usually isn't that big of a deal to get running, but when the networks you connect to use WPA, it's a lot nicer to have a tool that does that for you.

The beyond stuff I thought was an easy fix because the regular kernel and CK seem to recognize speedstep and the network devices so maybe it just needed a recompile or something. Also, much of the mobile world is moving to core duo, so not supporting it is not a good idea.

And I used to have a CK kernel on this laptop (before beyond existed) and it had suspend2. Sorry, I haven't been as up-to-date as everyone else

I like Arch (there are reasons that I stick with it instead of just using Ubuntu), but I just got a little carried away.

Also, next time I will remember to use the bugtracker. I didn't know it existed.

Sorry

Offline

#13 2006-06-28 19:01:55

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: London, UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,428
Website

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

Mr Green wrote:

I love Arch on me Lappy  8)

I've never run it on anything else! ;-)

Offline

#14 2006-06-28 21:11:10

Blaasvis
Member
Registered: 2003-01-17
Posts: 467

Re: Arch is mostly laptop friendly

networkmanager will be soon be added to the current/extra repo's. i almost done with it.


Freedom is what i love

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB