You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-28 09:46:43

david_goliath

[SOLVED] add users to disk group acceptable for use with ntfs-3g-fuse?

I maintain the AUR:ntfs-3g-fuse package and I have a question regarding best practice for granting normal users access to block devices.

Recently, I added instructions to add users to the disk group when using ntfs-3g-fuse here. This was necessary to get access to usb sticks, in general acces to block devices /dev/sd[a-z][1-9], as those are in the disk groups.

Is this good practice, or is there another and better way to achieve this via Acls?

I ask, because Users and groups#Pre-systemd groups lists disk as a group that usually doesn't require users to be added to manually because systemd takes care of it via acls.

Last edited by david_goliath (2017-05-29 22:19:04)

#2 2017-05-28 19:21:59

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED] add users to disk group acceptable for use with ntfs-3g-fuse?

No, just no.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2017-05-29 22:14:31

david_goliath

Re: [SOLVED] add users to disk group acceptable for use with ntfs-3g-fuse?

To make this more constructive, I'll paste the answer by Lawaacz from the discussion page of the ntfs-3g wiki,

„No, it's not a good practice (and never has been) to add normal users to the disk group. If you do this, they have full access to anything stored on any of your disks, including files normally accessible only by root. If you want normal users to be able to mount removable devices, use udisks or some helper - these are safe tools that run with root privileges, either as daemons or with suid.“ -- Lahwaacz (talk) 12:12, 28 May 2017 (UTC)

Board footer