You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-28 22:23:59

apetresc
Website

[SOLVED] No keyboard input after GRUB

I've just done a fresh Arch install on a new machine. Everything seemed to be going smoothly, but after a successful boot, I land at the console login screen with no keyboard input. The keyboard works fine in the GRUB menu (I can edit boot entries, etc), but once the boot process finishes, it's gone. Note that there is no X server installed at all on this machine, it's just a tty. The system itself seems to be alive, judging by the fact that hitting the power button once seems to cleanly shutdown the system.

Things I have tried:

1. Switching the USB port the keyboard is plugged into

2. Enabling xHCI and EHCI handoff in my BIOS, as described here

3. Booting into single-user mode. This also works, I see all the successful bootup diagnostics, but once it gets to "Give root password for maintenance", I once again am unable to input anything.

The motherboard is an ASUS Rampage V Edition 10, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any advice about how to go about diagnosing this.

Last edited by apetresc (2017-06-01 03:00:43)

#2 2017-05-30 01:17:22

apetresc
Website

Re: [SOLVED] No keyboard input after GRUB

Okay, the plot thickens – kind of on a whim, I decided to try booting with acpi=off and suddenly it works, I can boot and log in. Of course, only one CPU is seen this way, and strangely my network interface refuses to come up so this is not a long-term solution, but at least I am able to poke around. Does this help diagnose the underlying problem at all? Do I need a BIOS update?

#3 2017-05-30 01:36:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Try booting -lts - there were a few issues with 4.11.2

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2017-06-01 03:00:31

apetresc
Website

Okay, I appear to have solved it - I had to set `nomodeset` in the kernel parameters until I installed the nvidia driver. Apparently my video card (the GTX 1080 Ti) doesn't work with the nouveau driver. I suppose that means my keyboard was actually working fine, the framebuffer just wasn't echoing the input. Once I set `nomodeset`, I was able to boot, install the proprietary driver, and then it worked without it.

Last edited by apetresc (2017-06-01 03:01:15)

Board footer