You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-27 00:57:49

archdaemon

rhythmbox 0.9.5 not picking up gstreamer plugins

Greets. I quit using Arch about 6 months ago, but was dusting off an old install today and updated the system. The new init crap doesn't work (lilo user), but the fallback got the thing booted and I've fixed most other things but, not normally being a Gnome user (at all) this rhythmbox/gstreamer thing has me flummoxed. STFW and STFS turned up a lot of problems similar to mine, but not much exact, and I didn't find the magic incantation.

If I add a file/directory, I get:

The GStreamer plugins to decode "Ogg Vorbis" files cannot be found

(similar for mp3), and if I go ahead and try to play it, I get

Couldn't start playback

Problem occurred without error being set.
This is a bug in Rhythmbox or GStreamer.

I've tried the usual pacman -R/-S dance, to varying depths, with no results. I also had goobox and gst 0.8 crap, and yanked that out altogther in case it was confusing the issue.

Much thanks if anyone can give me a hand.

-- Oh, duh. I should say that sound works fine, though. It's purely a rhythmbox/gstreamer problem.

#2 2006-06-27 02:19:03

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: rhythmbox 0.9.5 not picking up gstreamer plugins

I don't use rhythmbox, but it might be possible that rhythmbox uses the gstreamer0.10 plugins. Do you have them installed?

#3 2006-06-27 19:15:22

archdaemon

Sorry - dunno how I didn't say that. Yeah, it does use 0.10 and I do have that, which is what I had in mind when I was saying I yanked 0.8 in case it was causing a conflict.

#4 2006-06-28 08:31:35

archdaemon

Actually, never mind. It was just kind of a lark anyway and, at this point, I just figure I'll reclaim the disk space. Take care all.  8)

Board footer