You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-05 04:27:54

tlmiller

4.11.3 + Chuwi Lapbook 14

So, not 100% yet, but it seems with initial testing kernel 4.11.3 has gotten the eMMC controller sorted out on Apollo Lake for me.  I reinstalled Arch today on my Chuwi, and so far everything is working with the eMMC.  At the moment, it's just the swap, but I have yet to have it fail to boot (which previously it did 9/10 boots, just setting complaining it couldn't read the eMMC drive).  VERY hopeful this is fully working now, and excited to finally be able to use both drives like I wanted with Linux (previously I could only get Debian to work on this hardware, everything else failed, and even Debian I couldn't actually USE the eMMC, it just for whatever reason would still boot even though it would throw I/O errors unlike Arch or Fedora), and specifically Arch (I have too much other hardware running Debian).  I know there was at least 1 other person that had bought one of these on the forums, so if they had ANY of the issues like I had, I'm hopeful that the issues are now over.

#2 2017-06-07 17:42:33

tlmiller

Re: 4.11.3 + Chuwi Lapbook 14

So, the issues aren't totally gone.  It does OCCASSIONLALLY still get I/O errors on bootup, but instead of setting for 10 minutes before booting, it sets for 30 seconds, which is quite tolerable.  And it happens maybe 1/5 startups, instead of 9/10 like with prior kernels.  So still quite usable even if not perfect.  I'm pretty happy.

#3 2017-06-24 04:11:03

tlmiller

Re: 4.11.3 + Chuwi Lapbook 14

Just an update.  I've got the 4.11.6 kernel now, and I've rebooted/shutdown now quite a few times, and the eMMC has been recognized on every single time.  I'm actually somewhat surprised, the new kernel seems to have SIGNIFICANT better performance on this laptop than previous kernels did.

So definitely seeing improvement as the 4.11 kernel continues forward.  I'm thinking about going ahead and moving my /home over to the eMMC now just to see if it continues to work going forward.

Still doesn't recognize the touchpad as a touchpad, but not a huge issue.

Board footer