You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-27 20:47:11

Back2Cali

X Server freezes after Kernel update

Hi!

I just updated to the current 2.6.17-beyond1 kernel and restarted my system. Problem is, that after I logged into the X-Server my system freezes and I have to push the reset button. I have a ATI Radeon 9500Pro graphic card. I tried getting X back to work by using the ati-frglr-beyond drivers, the ati drivers and the vesa drivers. Nothing seems to work. Using the fglrx drivers xorg doesn't even start kdm (my system freezes before the xserver comes up) won't work and using the radeon/ati module will let my system freeze shortly after KDE wants to start. The vesa driver will crash my system when showing the splash screen from KDE. I don't know what to do. I can only log in to the console. So I did in order to compile the kernel manually using my own config which worked using kernel 2.6.16 (BTW 2.6.16-beyond from extra also worked perfect for me). But I wasn't able to compile the kernel (some error messages about limits.h and things like that..... I thing it doesn't like gcc4.1... at least it seems to me like that.... ).

So I pretty much got stuck not being able to continue my work. I hope somebody can help me with this, since I have to do important work with my computer and don't really know what to do or how to fix the problem.

Thanks a lot!

#2 2006-06-28 00:25:30

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: X Server freezes after Kernel update

Try reinstalling kernel-headers. It'll probably fix the kernel compilation problems.

You could try using the stock vanilla kernel instead of beyond to see if it's not kernel related.

#3 2006-06-28 00:56:12

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

try reinstalling the libstdc++5 package - I had the same problem after my upgrade and that was what fixed it.

#4 2006-06-28 06:23:03

Back2Cali

Reinstalling the Kernel Headers worked for me being noe able to compile a new kernel.

Reinstalling libstdc++5 didn't solve the problem not beeing able to run any x-session.
So the main Problem is still there. What else could it be?

BTW.: I can't use the ARCH Kernel, because my whole system (except /boot) is based on reiser4 so the regular ARCH kernel wouldn't work.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks a lot!

#5 2006-06-28 11:35:29

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=4279
Try running pacworld on your machine - I had a ton of packages I needed to reinstall because of missing files; maybe that'll help you out.

#6 2006-06-28 13:49:22

Back2Cali

Damn! I totally forgot pacworld. Already had it installed, but I didn't used it. Anyway, thanks for the tip. It did it perfectly. Broken kdelibs caused my KDE to freeze. I was almost afraid that I have to spend as much time to keep Arch up to date as I had to do it with Gentoo.  big_smile

So I guess pacworld should be a base feature shipped with the arch system. Saved my butt not for the first time. (I still don't know why I forgot to run it this time roll )

Again, thanks for the help.

#7 2006-06-28 16:12:08

Back2Cali

Oh well.... I guess I was to fast thinking that the problem is fixed....  :cry:

Reinstalling kdelibs worked 3 times for me, but everytime my KDE crashed after several minutes and the same problem started unless I reinstalled kdelibs again. But nor (after the third time) reinstalling kdelibs doesn't work any longer. Pacworld doesn't show me any more broken packages, but the KDE session still freezes. I installed XFCE4 in order to find out if it is the problem of XOrg or KDE and XFCE seems to work. So I think KDE 3.5.3 won't work correct (maybe the mod can move this topic to the right place in the forum now, since the problem seems to be KDE specific). Does anyone know what might cause this strange behaviour of KDE. It all started after upgrading my kernel to 2.6.17-beyond1. But only KDE seems to die after a short while. And with KDE the whole system freezes. Tried several WMs and they all worked. Also the XFCE Desktop manager works..... 

Please can somebody help me?

#8 2006-06-28 19:26:17

leif_thande

Same problem here. I did a fresh install and it freezes when I start X. I tried both kernel26 and beyond. What I don't understand is that my friend has the exact same laptop than I do, we both are up to date and he doesn't have any problem.

Anybody else having trouble with fglrx driver since a few days ?

#9 2006-06-28 22:14:34

Back2Cali

Does your KDE start using another driver?

Over here using radeon, ati or even vesa doesn't make a difference. It freezes all the time.
If your Desktop only freezes using fglrx it might be a problem with ATIs drivers. So you should try something else. Maybe changing your corg.conf entry from fglrx to ati will let you continue work.

I tried it, but it doesn't work for me. That's why I think the new KDE 3.5.3 might be buggy.

Still searching for a solution to get back to normal work.
I hate to say, but this reminds me on my Gentoo times....  :shock:

#10 2006-06-29 20:42:41

leif_thande

It works with vesa but blanks with fglrx and radeon. Whatever if I use kde or fluxbox or even just X alone it blanks.

#11 2006-06-30 06:10:54

Back2Cali

I also installed the new fglrx drivers. They are working for me. Screen ist not blank. Sometimes after starting the fglrx drivers seem not to start correct (I had this problem on another computer). I simply restarted the X-Server and than it worked. After doing this a couple of times, it now also works perfect. No more blank screens over here.

But still a freezing KDE even after deleting the whole KDE folder of my user.
Did anybody have more luck getting KDE to work? There's another thread about KDE freezing over here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=22711

It seems to me that after the last update a couple of people had this problem.  Does anybody else had a corrupt KDE after the last update?
And did anybody get KDE back to work?

Please I need help with it, since I almost tried out everything I could imagine of.....

Thanks!

Board footer