You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-07 16:16:59

tick1020

[Solved]ish Nouveau / Hanging on boot / Kernel questions

So im trying to use kde plasma just for kicks. I've had it running for a while now but ever since i switched to the nvidia driver from nouveau ive been having all kinds of issues, and i wanted to install a game i play with play on linux and its opengl wants me to have the nouveau driver also. With my issues already i figured why not use nouveau. Screw nvidia anway.... Note that i'm using an off the wall laptop with a gtx 970m and an intel 6700hq (and i have the intel drivers installed also btw but that is fucked for another an entirely different reason)

So i followed the wiki instructions here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/No … _installed and i didn't do the last part and force the kernel to switch mid session. I rebooted and i greped dmesg to make sure nouveau was being used and it wasn't so i just deleted the nvidia package and rebooted assuming that nouveau would have to load now.  But now im hanging on reboot right at the point when systemd loads my dm  and it even says OK! started account service. I'm currently loading my arch usb to chroot into the system. But i have a few questions...

First of all what on earth should i do? When i google search this issue its NEVER someone trying to get nouveau working its the other way around... lol And from my experience nouveau always just works... should i just resolve to not being able to play my game and reinstall nvidia? My thought was to add nouveau to my mkinitcpio.conf and run it. Then retry. But why wouldnt it work to begin with it obviously worked before i installed nvidia?

And my intel graphics dont work period. Thats another long story i'd love some input on. But i'll have to open another thread for that mess. Lets just say they are broken so thats not an option atm unless someone knows how to reset a bios that doesnt want to be reset and no bios flashes exist for.

But along with this id like some help with another issue if its not too much trouble. Before i got this install of arch working i tried like a year ago with an older arch cd i had laying around and it failed for reasons i can't remember, but i think i did something stupid just not thinking like set up my /boot partition correctly for efi but then i installed a bootloader that didnt support efi or something stupid like that... i can't remember but the remnants of that are still on my pc in /boot and id like to know which files are safe to remove and which ones aren't cause refind is showing me like 6 options at boot and 3 of them don't work. It's more for my ocd but if theres a way to check which kernel is legit and which one isn't or how to just fix refind i'd appreciate it.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated

EDIT i just tried adding nouveau to my modules list in mkinitcpio.conf  and running mkinitcpio -p linux and im still hanging on boot with no change...

Last edited by tick1020 (2017-06-12 22:15:57)

#2 2017-06-07 16:32:04

tick1020

Re: [Solved]ish Nouveau / Hanging on boot / Kernel questions

Update: i reinstalled nvidia in chroot and sure enough i booted right up, but if anyone still wants to help me get nouveau working and possibly get rid of those kernels and fix refind i would appreciate it...

#3 2017-06-07 16:54:27

justasug

The nouveau problem might be related to this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226854

#4 2017-06-07 20:53:42

tick1020

wow i hadn't spotted that one yet... so its an upstream bug. Its funny i just installed arch on another desktop with a the most current build from the website... i just happened to be doing this today also. And i got that EXACT same kernel panic... I was lucky enough to have another graphics card to just stick in it temporarily. So it wasn't a huge setback... But yeah i'd have to say your right, there is a good chance they are related... i've never seen the nouveau guys put out a bad patch like that.... Well not one so bad as that. So it seems ill just be waiting for a nouveau patch in pacman... hmm. There is a chance they aren'y related though. Just for the simple fact that i had nouveau running on this machine 2 or 3 weeks ago... Nouveau hasnt been updated since then from what i can see in log...

#5 2017-06-07 21:02:33

loqs

tick1020 wrote:

Nouveau hasnt been updated since then from what i can see in log...

The issue justasug referenced was introduced by linux 4.11.3-1.

#6 2017-06-12 22:11:48

tick1020

I'm going to mark this as solved, I followed the instructions from here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226854 and now nouveau works just fine.  When the new version comes out we will see what happens then i suppose But it was just a bug in the nouveau driver. Thank you again for the information,  justasug.

Last edited by tick1020 (2017-06-12 22:14:24)

Board footer