You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-09 20:01:43

strexfive

slow login, "interactive auth required" after upgrade

I just upgraded (last time was about three weeks ago).  Now whenever I log in it takes about 10 sec to get a command line (after I type in my password and hit enter).  My system appears to be behaving normally, but when I shutdown or restart with poweroff/reboot, I can't do it and I get an "interactive authentication required" message instead.  sudo shutdown command works fine.

I'm not using a desktop or display manager - I just start i3wm with startx.  Also my terminal is urxvt.  I do have polkit installed but it looks as if it wasn't upgraded during this upgrade.  I have gpg enabled as a service, and that WAS upgraded.  But I'm not sure where to start debugging this issue.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 2017-06-09 20:19:21

strexfive

Re: slow login, "interactive auth required" after upgrade

OK, nevermind about the "behaving normally" part.  Systemd user instance not starting up at all, so that is the root cause.

I guess I am experiencing the "known issue" of systemd user instances, referenced on arch wiki here

I have the following user services set up:
gpg-agent.service
ssh-agent.service
mpd.service
syncthing.service

Some user service is causing my systemd user instance that starts up on login to time out.  I'm just not sure how to systematically disable user services to find the culprit, if I can't access the systemd user instance in the first place...?

Last edited by strexfive (2017-06-09 21:28:45)

#3 2017-06-11 04:46:16

strexfive

Two issues at play:
1. The recent change to gpg-agent.service user service, as mentioned in recent thread started after this one.
2. systemd user instance still broken upstream.

I fixed #1 and #2 went away.  But I'd still consider the systemd user instance broken.

#4 2017-06-12 09:23:50

fermi

I'm having a similar issue, which appeared after upgrading to gnupg 2.1.21-2 (same with 2.1.21-3) [https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54396].
I see the following errors:
"pam_systemd(sshd:session): Failed to create session: Connection timed out",
"user@1000.service: Failed with result 'timeout'", ...

I only have one service in  ~/.config/systemd/user/ which is totally unrelated to the gnupg service.

It's an intermittent issue, during several reboots my user service starts fine, no errors, during other attempts, the errors pop up, and the user service isn't started.
What I also see is in case the service isn't started the log file is flooded with:
systemd-resolved[265]: Switching to DNS server ... for interface wlan0 messages ...

The fact that this is intermittent: race condition?
Are we looking at the same issue here? Or do I have to explore in another direction?
(related: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=227089)

Thanks,

/fermi

Board footer