You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-12 21:32:29

osomi

[Solved] Trouble with amixer and mute binds

Hello, I tried to use xbindkeysrc to make volume binds for my media keys with amixer:

#Increase Volume
"amixer set Master 2%+"
Mod2 + XF86AudioRaiseVolume

#Decrease Volume
"amixer set Master 2%-"
Mod2 + XF86AudioLowerVolume

#Toggle Mute
"amixer set Master toggle"
Mod2 + XF86AudioMute

These binds have been working fine until I tried to test the Mute toggle. When I first hit the mute key on my keyboard, the audio muted, but when I pressed it again, the audio would not come back. Going into alsa mixer, I see that the mute bind i made actually is muting and unmuting the master channel, but I still hear no sound when the master channel is unmuted. The Increase and Decrease Volume binds are also lowering highering the master volume fine. None of the other audio channels are muted. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by osomi (2017-06-14 04:56:45)

#2 2017-06-13 00:03:54

osomi

Re: [Solved] Trouble with amixer and mute binds

Wow, this is embarrasing. I thought the green indicator that was at the bottom each alsamixer channel signified that the channel was muted, not unmuted. In reality I had every one of my channels muted. It turns out my bind is able to mute and unmute the master channel, but for some reason cannot unmute my headphone channel and front channel.

#3 2017-07-03 18:11:12

ninedotnine

I'm using a similar set up. Previously, amixer set Master toggle would mute/unmute only the Master volume, but now it also mutes Speakers (possibly others) and fails to unmute them.

This change was apparently caused by installing pulseaudio (required for sound in Firefox 54) and can be at least somewhat fixed by also installing pulseaudio-alsa.

Last edited by ninedotnine (2017-07-03 18:14:01)

dwmstatus | dotfiles
ninedotnine/danso @ freenode. always open to code critiques.

#4 2017-07-03 18:22:22

brebs

ninedotnine wrote:

required for sound in Firefox 54

Just a note - pure ALSA works fine, if firefox is compiled with --enable-alsa

Board footer