You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-15 08:32:35

dyloaw

No boot / cryptdevice after kernel upgrade - systemd - lvm2 / LUKS

Hi Forum,

I recently setup my first arch installation using the following guides:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/Systemv … t_dm-crypt

, which worked fine for a few days, reboots and updates until the first kernel update (4.10 to 4.11).
The system now does not ask for my FDE password on boot, consequently does not find the root partition, and just gets a timeout while waiting for main-root.

Given the technical details given below, any hints on how to approach this issue?
Is there way to "try/test/emulate" a boot from a live system?

I already rebuild the initramfs multiple times with different configurations while being chrooted from a live system.
Hence, at least the partition itself should be confirmed not broken.

System details:

Boot drive:
  All partitions are on the same physical disk.
  Layout:
  /boot is a non-encrypted ext4
  An encrypted lvm2/LUKS container containing
    /root btrfs
    /home btrfs
    /swap

initramfs file:

The hooks line reads as follows:
HOOKS="base systemd autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard sd-encrypt sd-lvm2 shutdown"

I also tried:
HOOKS="base systemd autodetect modconf block sd-lvm2 sd-encrypt filesystems sd-vconsole"

I also "checked" the initrd image using "lsinitcpio /mnt/boot/initramfs-linux.img | grep hooks" and it did only find hooks/shutdown.
Also I could not find anything related to encryption or systemd in the output of "lsinitcpio -a /mnt/boot/initramfs-linux.img".
Can sb. provide me with an output of "lsinitcpio -a" of a working image, using systemd + encryption?

Boot parameters:
(Syslinux 6.03)
.linux ../vmlinuz-linux cryptdevice=dev/disk/by-uuid/MY-UUID:main root/dev/mapper/main-root rw initrd=../initramfs-linux.img

Cheers,

#2 2017-06-17 10:16:57

dyloaw

Re: No boot / cryptdevice after kernel upgrade - systemd - lvm2 / LUKS

Hi Forum,

Is there anything what I can add to my question that would it make easier to provide me with a hint regarding my issue.
I appreciate every answer (also a RTFM one, just tell me which one smile )

Greetings,

Last edited by dyloaw (2017-06-17 10:17:47)

#3 2017-06-17 10:44:16

Genis

Re: No boot / cryptdevice after kernel upgrade - systemd - lvm2 / LUKS

I recently had a similar problem, but I don't know if it exactly the same situation: After encrypting one of my drives, I received kernel panic everytime I tried to boot the system.

The problem was that this device was included in /etc/fstab, but this is not the place for automonting encrypted devices, as one can see in the Arch Wiki. Check that this is not your situation.

I would also try to rebuild grub-config (or whatever boot loader you are using). There you can specify where's the root patition, so the bootloader should be able to find it.

While I'm not an expert, I hope these comments can be of some help.

Board footer